Caribou Gear

Hello from Missouri!

Tubbyveto

Hello everyone! New guy from a suburb of Kansas city. Grown up chasing turkeys, whitetails, coyotes and just about anything else that is in season. Avid rifle hunter and bow hunter but also started trapping about 9 years ago and I have became addicted to it. Started listening to Randy's podcast along with a few other ones when I started dreaming about going out west to fulfill some lifelong dreams. The bucket list includes elk, antelope, mule deer, wolf, bear and a mt lion. Looking forward to learning alot from you guys and good luck this season.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1985378699.jpg
    Snapchat-1985378699.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20180418_082243(0).jpg
    20180418_082243(0).jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 20180915_001233.jpg
    20180915_001233.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • Snapchat-517815623.jpg
    Snapchat-517815623.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Snapchat-1720635249.jpg
    Snapchat-1720635249.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • Snapchat-1300811694.jpg
    Snapchat-1300811694.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 11
Welcome and nice pictures. Thats a nice mess of craps!

Welcome! I can smell the Bryant's BBQ way out here!! Good looking crappie, too

If looking for easy hunt to get started out West then go buy a pronghorn preference point in Wyoming right now. The preference point will provide more options as you pick your first choice for what zone (GMU) to hunt pronghorn in next year or the year you apply.

Preference points have limited value in many cases but if are looking at a 20 year horizon then are some species in some states where buying points could make sense. You could just focus on Wyoming and build points for pronghorn, deer and elk and most likely draw a tag or two the next few years that would have around 50% or better harvest rates with enough public land to have a good adventure. Generally, the more points you build up then the more choices you have for a memorable hunt.

If your schedule is flexible then swing for the fences a bit as some states award some tags or all tags randomly so you might draw a great tag in first year applying though realistically odds are you will not draw for many, many years. Examples are NM which offers 100% of tags in the non-resident allotment randomly and WY issues 25% randomly. There are some good videos out there that explain how the draw works in the states out West. You can also join Huntin'Fool or Epic to get more information about each draw a few weeks prior to that draw's deadline to apply along with some strategy and suggestions. GoHunt is similar though offers information for all hunts rather than mostly focus on the better hunts.

Welcome! I can smell the Bryant's BBQ way out here!! Good looking crappie, too

If looking for easy hunt to get started out West then go buy a pronghorn preference point in Wyoming right now. The preference point will provide more options as you pick your first choice for what zone (GMU) to hunt pronghorn in next year or the year you apply.

Preference points have limited value in many cases but if are looking at a 20 year horizon then are some species in some states where buying points could make sense. You could just focus on Wyoming and build points for pronghorn, deer and elk and most likely draw a tag or two the next few years that would have around 50% or better harvest rates with enough public land to have a good adventure. Generally, the more points you build up then the more choices you have for a memorable hunt.

If your schedule is flexible then swing for the fences a bit as some states award some tags or all tags randomly so you might draw a great tag in first year applying though realistically odds are you will not draw for many, many years. Examples are NM which offers 100% of tags in the non-resident allotment randomly and WY issues 25% randomly. There are some good videos out there that explain how the draw works in the states out West. You can also join Huntin'Fool or Epic to get more information about each draw a few weeks prior to that draw's deadline to apply along with some strategy and suggestions. GoHunt is similar though offers information for all hunts rather than mostly focus on the better hunts.
Thank you for the solid advice! I went ahead and got preference points for elk, deer and antelope. It will be a few years before I can make my way out there so might as well increase my odds before I can go. Glad your a fan of Bryant's bbq! Best one there is in town as long as you go down to the orginal location. Looking forward to learning alot from everyone and thank you again for the information about applying for the preference points.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back