Hello from CA

Dschmitt88

Fairly new to big game hunting, been waterfowl hunting and all types of fishing for a long time though. Been following Randy’s podcasts, YouTube channel and fresh tracks for a while and finally decided to join.

Welcome.
You say you haven't been hunting big game all that long so let me give you a little advice about Ca. deer hunting and tags. Since you are buying an A tag already you should apply for a premium zone just to build up points. It does not cost anything extra to apply. If you have the time to go on a hunt in any given year then select a zone you would like to hunt and apply before the June deadline. If there is no way you can get the time off then apply for a point only. You may not know where to hunt in a premium zone now but by the time you build up a few points you might. I usually plan on at least 4-5 days when I draw a premium zone and a week or more is obviously better.
You may be doing this already but if not you should start.

Welcome.
You say you haven't been hunting big game all that long so let me give you a little advice about Ca. deer hunting and tags. Since you are buying an A tag already you should apply for a premium zone just to build up points. It does not cost anything extra to apply. If you have the time to go on a hunt in any given year then select a zone you would like to hunt and apply before the June deadline. If there is no way you can get the time off then apply for a point only. You may not know where to hunt in a premium zone now but by the time you build up a few points you might. I usually plan on at least 4-5 days when I draw a premium zone and a week or more is obviously better.
You may be doing this already but if not you should start.
Thanks for the advice, last year I did apply for a limited entry deer hunt here and didn’t get drawn so I have one point now. I have came to the conclusion I’m not going to be trying to save up a ton of deer points in CA as the even the best units aren’t that great compared to other western states. I plan on. Saving my big deer hunts for out of state hunts and this year possibly use my one point to get an a24 tag(either sex archery in my area). During deer season last year I had countless opportunities to take a doe in bow range if I had the tag so I know i could at least get some experience and meat in the freezer. Also, my cc just got hit from azdgf for an elk tag so I am extremely excited to hunt elk for the first time. Thanks again! I am very much enjoying this forum already.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back