Hello form Louisiana

JTHOMP

I discovered this forum after seeing some of the Fresh Track videos and figured I would tag along.....

Born and raised in Louisiana, and while I've always hunted, I just started hunting public land a few years ago. It's been a tough learning curve, but by trial and error and the help of a couple buddies I've had some great experiences while figuring it out. On public land in Louisiana mostly hunt squirrels, deer, pigs, and wood ducks. I've attached a few hunting pics from past season along with one of my girl friend giving my nephews an outdoor education lesson on catching tadpoles when we took a walk through some woods in Kisatchie NF. Haven't been able to make a bow hunt for deer yet this season, but squirrel season starts Saturday morning. Me and my buds are ready!

Attachments

• Island Buck2.jpg
    Island Buck2.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 2016 Hog 1.jpg
    2016 Hog 1.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 2017 Hog 2.jpg
    2017 Hog 2.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Tensas spike.jpg
    Tensas spike.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Squirrel Duck Limit.jpg
    Squirrel Duck Limit.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 121
  • Olivia and boys.jpg
    Olivia and boys.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 113
  • bear.jpg
    bear.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Welcome from a former Mississippian. What's the story on the bear? That's a cool picture.

Welcome from a former Mississippian. What's the story on the bear? That's a cool picture.

This was while hunting in Tensas NWR (across the river from Vicksburg). The bear made a b-line to my stand and while trying to take a picture of him, my release hit the side of my climber which is when he looked up me. We looked at each other for a little bit the he walked to the bottom of the tree. Stood there for a bit...then he started climbing and I started yelling lol. I didn't want to throw my bow at it because I was afraid of him breaking it so I was reaching in my pack for something to use. He got a few feet up the tree and stopped and continued to look at me. Then climbed down, sniffed around the tree and then slowly walked away.

In hind site, about 5 minutes before I heard him walking I had eaten some peanut butter crackers. After eating the pack, I shook the crumbs out and put the plastic in my pocket. I believe that is what he was smelling and looking for. We hunted the same area the next morning and I made sure not to bring any snacks lol.

This was while hunting in Tensas NWR (across the river from Vicksburg). The bear made a b-line to my stand and while trying to take a picture of him, my release hit the side of my climber which is when he looked up me. We looked at each other for a little bit the he walked to the bottom of the tree. Stood there for a bit...then he started climbing and I started yelling lol. I didn't want to throw my bow at it because I was afraid of him breaking it so I was reaching in my pack for something to use. He got a few feet up the tree and stopped and continued to look at me. Then climbed down, sniffed around the tree and then slowly walked away.

In hind site, about 5 minutes before I heard him walking I had eaten some peanut butter crackers. After eating the pack, I shook the crumbs out and put the plastic in my pocket. I believe that is what he was smelling and looking for. We hunted the same area the next morning and I made sure not to bring any snacks lol.

We have a place at Eagle Lake just across the river from there. There have been more and more bears there the past few years. I've never seen one though.

Welcome from just across the river in Vicksburg! This is a great forum with great people so enjoy. I have definitely learned a lot about out west on here.

We have a place at Eagle Lake just across the river from there. There have been more and more bears there the past few years. I've never seen one though.
Don't know about the east side of the river or east of the levee, but I'm sure you'll see one soon. But I know there are a lot on the refuge and surrounding properties. In college I did wildlife work and spent two summers working on the population survey. They get more and more every year.

Welcome from just across the river in Vicksburg! This is a great forum with great people so enjoy. I have definitely learned a lot about out west on here.
Thanks! I live in south Louisiana near Lake Charles but bounce around and hunt different areas in the state when I can. Definitely want to go out west one day!

I'm from Lake Charles originally, but have lived in East Tennessee all my life basically. All my dads side of the family is spread out between Lake Charles and Houston. Welcome aboard.

Welcome!!! There are a few things I miss about Louisiana after living down in NOLA for about 4 yrs was the saltwater fishing, gumbo and a good ole roast beef po boy.

Thanks! I live in south Louisiana near Lake Charles but bounce around and hunt different areas in the state when I can. Definitely want to go out west one day!

I love all my hunting and fishing down here in the south but out West is something different. Killed my first elk this year out there during archery season and am already planning next years hunt.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back