Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

helicopters

Big Fin, I absolutely love the show!!! you are a true sportsman in every sense of the word. I am a law enforcement helicopter pilot and I know first hand how incredible these cameras can be. For everyone reading these posts, know that the distance these shots are filmed at there is "no way" the herd is running from the helicopter. These cameras would blow your mind if you were sitting in the drivers seat filming from these distances. They zoom in at an incredible rate and can make it look like they are right on top of it. When you see a news helicopter filming a scene, they are at a minimum of 1200-1500 ft AGL (above ground level) and quite possibly higher than that. If you are familiar with aviation, that is a fairly decent altitude...Again Big Fin, keep up the great work...love watching the show..

Rutdog.

I always wondered if it had to do with failed homesteads that no one could afford to purchase, or less productive land that no one claimed durring the homestead periods...
That is how most of the BLM lands came to be. They are lands that were not homesteaded/improved etc to qualify for private ownership and could not be dispersed by the General Land Office. Combine the GLO and the Grazing Service and viola you have the BLM in 1946.

Im sorry my post upset everyone, and I do realize I was in the wrong with the way I presented my feelings.

Being a prick doesn't upset everyone, don't flatter yourself ;)

I have been offered to hunt on private land for 180 class mule deer this fall and I turned it down in order to hunt deep in the back country,

So for the rest of us that would hunt private , Can you clue us in on this 180 buck !!! I am a OYOA guy but would hunt private as well. Heck, I would swap a bow and a rifle too.... I'm just crazy that way .

Helicopters...... YAh, last time I chased game down with a Chopper was in New Zealand. Those were the days !!!

I am a OYOA guy but would hunt private as well. Heck, I would swap a bow and a rifle too.... I'm just crazy that way .

Those were the days !!!

Now you're lumping yourself in with people like me. I think we must be diluting the OYO waters Oscar.:rolleyes:

Hi all

Long time reader, first time poster, from New Zealand.

We are having a hell of a time trying to get some control over the use of helicopters for hunting down here. We have a long history of using them to access hunting grounds - flying in to fixed, pre-determined campsites. And yes, they also get used for animal control - normally commercial hunting as it plays a key part in managing animal numbers here.

But, over the last decade we've seen a growth in what we call heli-hunting - using the helicopter to search for game, sometimes chase it to an easier spot or to wear it out, sometimes herding the animal towards waiting 'hunters'.

It sucks, but the money involved has purchased the services of lawyers, and some in our Government departments seem to be encouraging it too.

Here's the thing though - the vast majority of local hunters do not like it, and we are working hard to try and stop it. The guides are arguing there is a big demand for it from overseas hunters, like yourselves.

I'd be surprised if any of us on here think it is 'hunting' - but what we know happens is tourist hunters get coerced into a helihunt by guides when they arrive. Unscrupulous guides who say the only way to get a tahr or chamois is to helihunt. And that is bullshit.

Have a look at this for an idea of what is going on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcDMX4tQTy4

It's not your battle, we'll keep plugging away; just a heads up that if you ever make it down here and a 'guide' suggests you need to 'hunt' from a helicopter, you can suggest he combine sex and travelling!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back