Helena?

TheSurveyor

So I think I've had all I can take of Colorado. The Californian and texasens moving here have changed things so much. I'm not saying they're all bad but if I had a dollar for every tesla or bmw that cut me off angry because i was only going 55mph in a 50mph opposed to 75mph I'd retire. I live in the foothills West of Denver in a small town area with great schools, no crime, and tags available. This place is a utopia in every way except the new culture. It doesn't line up with my values at all.

It's brought me and the wife to talk about moving for the last 2yrs. Montana keeps coming up and I wanted to get some opinions about Helena. Bozeman sounds like Boulder Colorado and the last time I was in Missoula it wasn't what I remembered from 10yrs ago. Helena seems good on print. I think I'm going to plan a trip up soon. I know no one can give me all the answers but just some insight to the general area.

Priorities
#1 Good schools
#2 Stable Economy (gotta pay the bills)
#3 Good hunting

Don't bother with Helena, no critters anywhere to be had...;)

Really Helena fits all of your priorities. Not nearly as crowded as Bozeman or Missoula, excellent hunting in every direction, good local economy (not sure your profession but the state gov't is a major employer), great trail system for hiking and biking, 3 (soon 4) good microbreweries, 3 large lakes within an hour for fishing/boating, etc.

A number of HT'ers live here (namely Mr Lamb :p) so I'm sure you could nail someone down for a frosty beverage when you do your scouting trip. Good luck!

I don't live in Helena, but I think it would be a good place to live. It gets more sunshine than NW Montana where I live. It is centrally located, so not very far from any of the other bigger towns in Montana. Also being centrally located is great from a hunting point of view. I would imagine that the schools are pretty good given the size of the town - haven't heard anything bad. I think places like Whitefish, Bigfork, Bozeman, tend to attract the kind of people you are trying to escape in Denver, but not Helena, I don't believe it is much of a tourist destination.

I wouldn't give up so easily on CO. This state is still has alot to offer. Where are you at in CO? Take a look at some of the towns on the Western Slope. Grand Junction would fit your 3 part criteria listed above.

I'm in Evergreen. It's a beautiful place. Weather is the best. Lots of sun but always at least 10deg cooler than Denver. Sunny and bright winters unless it's snowing. 20mins to Denver and 50min to the airport. It has everything going for it and why I moved here. But the community has changed quickly in the last 5 or so yrs. the day to day has just been eating at me. When you hear people complain about the elk bugling and waking them up at night you know you are in the wrong crowd. But those same folks that are annoyed by the elk bugling and eating their flowers despise folks like me for harvesting one.

The housing market is unreal and would set us up pretty well to sell and relocate to a cheaper area.

Not a fan of the western slope of Colorado. To hot and dry.

I grew up in Great Falls and lived there until 4 years ago when we moved to Seeley Lake in west central Mt. Of the three you listed Helena wins hands down. Bozeman is growing and the surrounding are is also. I think the real estate prices are high due to demand. Missoula well that's a different story. It has the nick name of " Little Frisco" The taxes are high they never met a bond issue they didn't like. It's a liberal college town that has it's own culture that's sometimes makes you wonder what the heck re they thinking LOL. Helena is also growing but I think it still is a nice area. Great Falls didn't suffer much in the 08 melt down since it was already very slow growth or some might say reverse growth. I think housing prices in Great Falls are the lowest of the listed. It is also close to the island mountain ranges and the Rocky Mtn. Front plus it's on the Missouri river and close to many lakes.
Good luck,
Dan

I agree with TheSurveyor, the whole West is changing too much, and getting way too crowded. Its time to make everyone born east of the Mississippi river and their children to get back on their side! I'll make an exception for military veterans since they served the nation. Then a lot of western states would loose more than half their populations, to include Colorado, Arizona, and even California!

Great idea me thinks, whatcha think? :hump::hump::hump::hump::hump::)

Keep us posted on what you find up there, work is moving me up to Great Falls next summer and I'm a nervous wreck about it. I've been doing as much research as I can on hunting and fishing and it looks like Helena is close to one of the walleye hot spots. I hope a few locals can correct me or point us in the right direction, you and I will be in the same boat with figuring out hunting around there, but after reading into the Block Management Montana has, I feel a little better about finding some new hunting grounds. My wife and I will be up there in the spring checking it out and doing a little house hunting around Great Falls, good luck!

Made the move from Manitou Springs to Helena 8 years ago. Sounds like we were looking for the same things.
Helena is a working class town, not a resort town. Wages are lower but so are expenses. It can be a challenge to meet people at first, thats the montana way... gotta be here a year or 2 before people realize you're not leaving.

Let me know when you will be up here "scouting" and I'll join you at one of our fine breweries and tell you (almost) everything I know.

Guess I'd better not post any questions about moving to colorado on here. Since the fiance and I have been considering it.

Ha, all the Coloradans complain about the Californians moving out, so they move up to Montana, then the Montana folks start complaining...

Made the move from Manitou Springs to Helena 8 years ago. Sounds like we were looking for the same things.
Helena is a working class town, not a resort town. Wages are lower but so are expenses. It can be a challenge to meet people at first, thats the montana way... gotta be here a year or 2 before people realize you're not leaving.

Let me know when you will be up here "scouting" and I'll join you at one of our fine breweries and tell you (almost) everything I know.

Pretty much this. Lived here for 10 years. It took two years to find a group of friends who shared a lot of interests. Great community and lots of entertainment although the dining scene leaves some to be desired.

Decent hunting, good fishing but be prepared to drive 50 - 100 miles for the top-shelf stuff. Our city fathers leave a fair amount to be desired, but it's important to remember that there's the City of Helena, the Helena Valley, and South Helena, which includes communities like Montana City, Clancy, and Jefferson City.

We've got great RMEF, DU, Pheasants & Mule Deer Foundation chapters, and a couple of local rod & gun clubs as well. Some great local shops for sporting goods and plenty of access to the three local lakes.

But we also get a good amount of smoke in summer, cold in the winter and you can drive a sleigh through town on the City's snow removal plan of "F#ck it, let it turn to ice."

This is an interesting thread because you're the third person I've heard of who is getting out of CO to get away from all the California transplants. One is a pharmacist (democrat) and other a geologist republican) or something sorta in that realm. They too thought CO was overrun with "green, vegan and left" culture (not my terms- one of them) and isn't what it used to be. Its getting too populated for them with unemployed (by choice) people. The two I know don't know each other but are also both dissatisfied with the same things- influx of transient people without skills or jobs moving there for the recreational marijuana. One of them voted for legal pot and he is the most unhappy about his choice. They both miss the Colorado they used to know. One has settled on western North Dakota and the other in New Mexico.

Until 6 months ago, I never realized that there were any Coloradans that thought that about leaving their outdoor paradise... apparently I was wrong. They are very different people and came to the same conclusion. I'm sure there are many more thinking along your lines.

Thanks for sharing.

Where/what will be the 4th brewery? I like Blackfoot and 10 mile.

I hope to be moving to Helena in the next year. If we both make it there, I'll buy you a beer. I think as long as you know where to look, there is hunting and fishing for days. Go towards Lincoln...hunting. The mountains East of Canyon Ferry...hunting. Drive towards Butte...hunting. Drive towards Missoula....hunting. Speed goats all around. Holter, Hauser, Canyon Ferry, Helena Valley Regulating Reservoir. Missouri below Holter is some of the finest Blue Ribbon fly-fishing in the state. Ducks, geese, pheasants, bear, elk, muley deer, white tail deer, walleye, trout, perch, all can be had within a half hour or so, I'd say.

I think Helena would be a great place to live. The one downfall I see, is snowfall. I mean I live in Bozeman and once the snow falls, it stays and I'd want it to snow more in Helena. I like when the snow flies. And Great Divide sucks. I've skied there twice. The snow just wasn't good.

Moved here about 1.5 years ago for my NWTF position and absolutely love it. Came from KS, and then lived near Billings a year. My girlfriend works at the VA hospital and I'm on the road a ton, so we to have struggled to meet too many folks, except for our volunteers in the area. I don't see us going anywhere though with her position. There is a lot of recreational opportunity for sure, just takes a lot of time to explore it all!

Some Questionable characters in the Helena area, especially the ones that frequent this site.

Helena is a fine city that will mesh nicely with your expectations. Bring some stop signs with you as they do not bother to use them in neighborhoods where traffic approaches from all 4 directions with no clear major street.

Back