Hearing protection

RobG

A dozen years ago I had some injection molded ear plugs made to protect my hearing while hunting. I did this after realizing I had lost so much hearing I couldn't hear little rattlesnakes... figured I better save what is left.

The plugs are on a lanyard and I can place them barely inside my ears when I'm walking around. That way they don't block any sound and I can just push them in when I see a deer or elk. Pushing them in is now instinctive, like pushing off the safety before firing. I don't think I've lost a single animal because of them. It is SOOOO nice not to have a ringing head (or worse) after shooting an animal. And if your hunting buddy snores...

They are similar to the ones here: http://www.earplugstore.com/best-custom-molded-ear-plugs.html (but I've never used this particular vendor as I like to go local). After 12 years my old ones aren't fitting as well as they should so I just ordered some new ones from the local audiologist. $150, ouch, but well worth it.

One friend uses what I think is the lowest budget plug possible: he chews on two pieces of paper towel while he hunts and shoves them in his ears before he shoots! However, most of my friends blow their ears out year after year wearing nothing.

Do any of you use hearing protection?

$150 is cheap to save your hearing, I know because I didn't, I now wear $5,000 hearing aids and still deal with frequent tinnitus. Oh, to be able to go back in time and save my hearing!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back