Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Heading West

fair2middlin2003

I am heading to Colorado for my first ever elk hunt. Plan to do a OTC second rifle season and probably hunt unit 78. Does anyone have any advice or pointers for a old hunter but a newbie elk man?

We're not allowed to say anything until Cushman chimes in :D

After you take a ride on the Cush you'll get the answers you seek

ROFL I will be happy with any info I can get. Have map reconned until Ive given myself a headache and still dont know if I am making the best choices. LOL

Hunt uphill, pack downhill.

Oak was just kidding...best thing to do is hunt downhill and pack uphill. Don't ever hunt between two roads either, that will be too many road hunters scaring the game. You want to get down low where it's cool...down into the dark timber at the bottom of the drainages, down where no one else will go, that's where they like to hide..that is if you can find any elk in Colorado, I heard there isn't any.

Thanks Brentster. I have hunted deer and such all my life but really dont have much idea what to do hunting elk. Have hunted and taken a few bears and a moose but again, nothing like hunting a mountain elk. Should I hit the timber first thing each day or watch the clearings in the morning and evening while hitting the timber during mid day?

The truth is there are so many elk in Colorado that there really is no point in ever going any further west to chase bulls.

Thanks Brentster. I have hunted deer and such all my life but really dont have much idea what to do hunting elk. Have hunted and taken a few bears and a moose but again, nothing like hunting a mountain elk. Should I hit the timber first thing each day or watch the clearings in the morning and evening while hitting the timber during mid day?

The one time I decide to be a smart ass on here, and now you've made me feel bad for being one...arg, I can't win today :(

Take Oaks advice...he is a mighty tree indeed.

ROFLMAO. Well ya would have had me. Good thing we werent snipe hunting. I had even went to google earth and was scouting out the lower lying wet areas in the timber. ROFL

LMAO Okay does anyone have any tactical (f not unit specific) advice they can give me on elk hunting that doesnt involve running around in the woods with a sack and stick. LMAO

In a couple other areas, I would give you exact gps coordinates, but I am not familiar with that area.

However, I will say get as far away from roads as possible and be willing to do a long packout if you are physically able. Your success will be in direct relation to how far you walk and your mental attitude to do what it takes. In most otc units, you will lose more hunters the farther past 1/2 mile from the road that you go. If you use horses, GET OFF and hunt. Use them only to get into the area and pack out the animal. Every elk that I ever killed came out on my back. I think horses are more trouble than they are worth and I only used them once. They are a real plus, though, if you want to hunt deep in a wilderness area.

As a general rule, I have found that a good starting place for finding elk is either on top of a thick ridge, or within a third of the way down the north side. Early and late- or if someone else spooks them- you will see them in the parks. In the juniper trees of New Mexico, I even found some great bulls bedded on the south side of thick ridges (although due to my blundering, I never killed one of them!). Just remember one thing above all. When the sun comes up, those elk go into stuff so thick that you can hardly walk through it. You can get up on them if you pay attention to the wind a keep your eyes open so you see them first.

If it is warm, go up just below timber line if you can and hunt the deep, dark timber. If it is cool and the snow comes, move down with the snow.

The last bull that I killed in Colorado was a 6x6 that I killed on top of a remote ridge that no hunters were even close to. I found no animals low and was deep in elk after I started at 10,000 feet and went up.

Get a gps and a compass (in case your gps breaks) and go get them. Good luck.

Appreciate the info sbhooper. I am not committed to unit 78. As long as it is a OTC unit I am game to try any if you think it would be better. I am in good shape and have always been a long distance hunter. I dont mind climbing. I realize the altitude is going to be a bit ruff but I plan on being there 3 days or so before opening so I will have time to scout some, set up a camp, meet some locals, and get any info I can. I will probably be doing this solo. I will also be on foot.

BTW Hopper, if you ever want to chase some turkeys in Virginia give me a yell. I know areas down there in which I can have you on a bird the first 30 minutes of the morning. Steep ground but it will be nothing compared to the Rockys. LOL

Back