Have any of you ever shot one? 500 Magnum or S&W 460

WNC2500

Has anyone on HT ever shot a S&W 500 Magnum? Or does anyone own one that hasn't gotten lost in a boating accident?
I shot one at the range one day when I had my pistol, and another gentleman had the 500. It shot well.
I own a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 Magnum and love the gun and love how it shoots.
Anyways, does anyone have experience?

Yep - I've shot a friends and then owned one for a while. It shot well, recoil wasn't all that bad. It was like getting pushed and was nowhere near as sharp as recoil from a 454 casull.

I ultimately sold it. It was so big and heavy, more expensive to load for, and didn't really offer much benefit over my 44 mag for hunting. I did not keep my Casull - it was painful to shoot after about 5 shots and not enjoyable at all.

Yeah, but I don't really see a lot of practical application for one mainly due to weight and bulkiness. My 29 is heavy enough. They're cool though, and fun to shoot

I have a .454 Casull and hear its worse, most likely because of weight.

I will tell that letting someone shoot my Casull is about as fun as it gets. I load the first round with a .45LC. Shoot it one handed to show them how easy it is. I tell them they better first try with two hands, they get the .454. Its priceless

Last edited:
Had a number of clients over the years show up with one. They are a lot to handle. I’ll stick with the 454!

Shot the spouse's .454 1 time, only 1 time, FA revolver.
I hear the .500 is much better for recoil.
.454 lever action is fun though.
I'd try the .500 if I could.

Had a buddy that had to have a 500ES (2 1/2"). I ran a cylinder through it at a silhouette target and got about an 8" group on the indoor range.

Not as bad as hot loads out of my 7 1/2" .45 Colt BH Hunter with the factory laminate grips.
When I have the same Hogue style grips on my Ruger I would rather shoot the Ruger.

For bear protection I would still go to my 44 mag Redhawk every time.

BTW - My buddy sold his 500 right after our range day.

Had a buddy that had to have a 500ES (2 1/2"). I ran a cylinder through it at a silhouette target and got about an 8" group on the indoor range.

Not as bad as hot loads out of my 7 1/2" .45 Colt BH Hunter with the factory laminate grips.
When I have the same Hogue style grips on my Ruger I would rather shoot the Ruger.

For bear protection I would still go to my 44 mag Redhawk every time.

BTW - My buddy sold his 500 right after our range day.

@44hunter45 I absolutely love my Super Redhawk (below) I just saw one in Sportsmans (S&W 500) and after shooting one (which was not bad) it got me thinking and just wanting to inquire from my HT friends.

IMG_3962.png

I've shot one, but decided to go 460. I use the 460 with Barnes Xpander 275 for whitetail here in VA.

@DKenny Why did you choose the 460 over the 500? I don't think that I have ever shot a 460. I have shot 454 (short barrel), and then of course my 44 magnum but never shot the 460

I felt the recoil was more manageable and I felt more accurate when shooting the 460 out to 100 yards. The 500 is a good friend of mines and I shot it at a few different range sittings and felt I could not get accurate enough for me. Also, I found 460 ammo more locally than I did the 500, so when I so a pretty good deal on one at a local shop I jumped on it.

I would agree that you rarely see the 500 out anywhere, but I do see the 460's ammo, of course 454, and then an abundance of 44 magnum

The advantage with the 460 is that it can also shoot 454 and 45 Colt. Have shot a 4" S&W 500, it was not problem shooting with both hands, but shooting one handed it did kind of pound the web between thumb and index finger. I have a Ruger SR 9.5" 44 Mag and it is very easy to shoot even with 300 gr at 1300fps. If I were to get another, it would be the 460 Smith.

@Caseknife That was kind of what I was wondering about in regards to getting another revolver. I love my wheel gun. I did not know that about the 460 also shooting 454 and 45.
I have the same exact Ruger SR 9.5 44mag that you speak of and absolutely love that gun!! Seeing a lot of the handgun hunters on here makes me want to look into putting a scope on one, possibly a new one that I purchase.

Pretty cool when you think that the 454 Casull is the down-load for the 460 Smith:)
When I was hunting with my Ruger SR, actually had to carry it in my hand, otherwise if it was in a shoulder holster, I found myself observing my quarry, rather than getting ready for a shot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back