Yeti GOBOX Collection

460s&w vs 500s&w for bison

[email protected]

Iam trying to find some information about using a pistol on a future bison hunt in utah. I would love to use a pistol. Years ago I had a T/C encore in .44 mag I lover that pistol. I never killed a animal with it but alot of range time.
I have access to a 500 s&w to use. But I've watched videos on the 460 s&w penetration power. I will have a rifle there with if needs be my goal is to use a pistol.
What slugs to load for each and what caliber will work the best. .44 rem mag, 500 s&w, 460 s&w. I've had alot of tI me with a .44 little time with the 500 and never shot the 460

That'd be a cool method of take if you're proficient. Nate Romanowski would tell you to use a Freedom Arms 454 Casull. ; )

I've taken game up to big bull moose with a 454 Casull and I also hunt with my 460 S&W Magnum. They share bullets and for Bison I'd choose the same 360 grain hard cast Buffalo Bore load that I shot my moose with. It will definitely do the job for you.

I'd throw another vote in for the 460. I had a 500 and got rid of it, I kind of wish I didn't but in reality I wasn't going to hunt with it like I do with the 460. I shoot the hornady 200 grain load, but would probably opt for a hardcast for a bison. I don't know if you plan on going iron sights or scope, but if you do don't skimp on a scope. My 460 destroyed a weaver and a bushnell in a few shots each. I bought a leupold vx3 handgun and it has held up to the punishment with no hiccups

Me and my friend have each killed a black bear with his Leupold scoped 460. Can't remember what load but that thing shoots...3" dot.

ResizedImage951345852554070.jpg

Back