hang fire

tom338

I just switched out a barrel on my 7mm rem mag. I'm also load testing for a 300 win mag. Using the same box (or boxes) of primers, CCI mags. I can once in a while hear a delay in the firing in the 7mm, snap/boom almost like a muzzleloader. Never had it happen in the 300 win mag. Re-checked my headspace and it ok. Could it be a issue with the firing pin?? Just cleaned that also. And the primers have a nice dent where the firing pin hits....

I'd recheck that firing pin along with a good visual inspection and cleaning of inside of bolt.

I had some IMR 4831 and RL 26. Had it happen once with both powders and am using the same powder to load the 300 win mag and have not had any issues

Easiest thing to do is try a different primer.
I'm usking Fed215M with my 7mm Rem Mag & RL26.
No issues in cold temps either.

Had that happen once, but it was the bolt/pin. Just needed a cleaning. If it's not that, all I can think is that you need to use different primers, or possibly brass.

Were your primers seated deep enough?

I like to stand my primed cases on something flat like a piece of glass. Shake/move the glass and see if any cases wobble. Position the glass so that one edge is over the edge of your bench or a table. Lift the glass a tad and set it back down. Note if any cases wobble which means that they have high primers. Reseat as needed.

That's kind of a scary problem to have in a big magnum. If it's not the primers being seated inadequately, or maybe an obstruction of some sort in the flash hole, it's awfully hard to say. Maybe a bolt/firing pin thing, but I'd think if the pin is striking the primer it would either fire or it wouldn't, not just create a delay.

Maybe that batch of brass needs to have the flash holes uniformed?

If it's a bolt/pin cleaning matter, I'd think the initial "snap" is probably the sear disengaging and the hangfire effect is the slight delay - caused by a build up of dirt, grease, or gunk - of the pin traveling through it's housing before it actually strikes the primer.

That's all I got.

???

Haven't got a clue what would cause that but I think I'd take a good look at the flash hole's in the case's.

Your headspace may test fine with the Forster gages, but your loads could have shoulder set-back. Most belted cases do not really headspace on the belt. Belts can vary a lot.
A simple test is to take a hole bunch to a bunch of paper stickers and put the dots over your primers. I've done this with mis-fired rounds and gotten them go bang.

That's kind of a scary problem to have in a big magnum. If it's not the primers being seated inadequately, or maybe an obstruction of some sort in the flash hole, it's awfully hard to say. Maybe a bolt/firing pin thing, but I'd think if the pin is striking the primer it would either fire or it wouldn't, not just create a delay.

Maybe that batch of brass needs to have the flash holes uniformed?

If it's a bolt/pin cleaning matter, I'd think the initial "snap" is probably the sear disengaging and the hangfire effect is the slight delay - caused by a build up of dirt, grease, or gunk - of the pin traveling through it's housing before it actually strikes the primer.

That's all I got.

???

I'm pretty much limited to Remington 700 bolts, but I'd remove the firing pin assembly and check it and take the bolt body and pour some lighter fluid thru it so that it runs out the firing pin hole. Wipe it dry inside with a patch on a needle eye jag or with a .410 size bore mop. Maybe put a light coat of oil on it before re-assembly.

I'm pretty much limited to Remington 700 bolts, but I'd remove the firing pin assembly and check it and take the bolt body and pour some lighter fluid thru it so that it runs out the firing pin hole. Wipe it dry inside with a patch on a needle eye jag or with a .410 size bore mop. Maybe put a light coat of oil on it before re-assembly.

Spray brake cleaner is your friend when cleaning bolts. Use eye and hand protection and go outdoors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back