Handgun suggestions for first one

Keltec PMR30. Inexpensive. Affordable to shoot. Ammo available. Low/no recoil. Reliable. Multiple ammo choices afford 14”+ penetration in calibrated ballistic gel which is more than sufficient for anything on your list.

If you don't have grizzlies, just talking about coyotes-cougar-wolf, there's no need for a magnum. I'd just look for a .40 cal Glock. That's plenty of power, 15 rounds, and you kind of have to work at it to get a model 22 to malfunction.

S&W hammerless 357/38+P, not an air weight
Browning Buckmark .22

Get both of them.
You'll also find someone local can help with shooting lessons, you're in Wyoming after all.

You may find shooting that .22 pretty fun if you go that route, might lead to a nice little 9mm semi auto in your future.

1630449688365.png
These guys carry the Glock 20 in 10mm. They are mostly concerned about polar bears though. It's a tough pistol that is easy to use and safe to carry. Obviously, it will function in the worse environments.

Why is this. Revolvers are the most commonly recommended "woodsman" pistol option. I have a GP100 and a Sig10mmAuto - both are great, there is a place for revolvers and semi-autos, but why is a revolver recommendation "not helping you in the least"?
Nothing whatsoever to do with the equipment. I love a good revolver. It’s the “point and shoot” part that bothered me. It’s just as easy to miss with a revolver as it is a semi-auto. I urge training first and foremost.

The answer to first gun is usually 22lr. You can get pellet versions of the popular models these days, though. Fact is handguns are hard to use to hit past personal defense range. That's measured in feet. Moving further out you need to learn the basics without recoil confusing things.

Revolvers are more difficult than pistols, but they're usually better at distance and more readily available in hunting cartridges. So for the outdoorsman, and all civilians really, revolvers are best. They're also more reliable outside of the condition of being pointed at the target. Once you get it clear of the holster and covering garments, though, pistols are at least as reliable and certainly easier to shoot.

For your specific task you don't really need extended range and power. And unless the animal surprises you and gets on top of you, you don't need the superior ultra close quarters reliability of revolvers.

While the answer to animal self defense and hunting is always 44 magnum double action, hot 9mm is enough for wolves and lions. People often recommend hard penetrating loads to break bones and disable the central nervous system. Doesn't sound like you'll practice enough to make those hits. Hot hollow points discourage thin skinned animals best.

You'll want something light. That means polymer frame. Pick what points naturally and has a pellet or 22lr version available. Points naturally means it fits your hand such that you can point it at a nearby object and confirm by glancing down the sights that you actually pointed at that object.

Do not get a Glock unless you just love it to pieces and are willing to dedicate yourself to using that one grip style.

Don't feel like you need to get one made to accept a reflex sight, however strong the gee whiz factor. If you need a specific recommendation Walther PPQ is about as good as it gets. If budget, S&W M&P. Both companies sell more compact models if you feel the possibility of use is not enough to call for a full size fighting piece. 3" of barrel is enough.

Whatever that question is…….. Glock 19 is the answer.

In all seriousness if one can only own one pistol is it a pretty good all around choice.

Nothing whatsoever to do with the equipment. I love a good revolver. It’s the “point and shoot” part that bothered me. It’s just as easy to miss with a revolver as it is a semi-auto. I urge training first and foremost.
I believe his comment was simplicity of revolver

He is a retired swat commander from Miami and still teaches tactics and firearms to all manner of law enforcement, pretty sure he can give me the basics

It’s pretty easy to overthink handguns. It’s also pretty easy to try and simplify it into one answer that probably isn’t correct for everybody.

there is no mystery about shooting handguns. The trigger press is still the same, and for rapidfire shooting your form and structure are paramount. A good dependable 9 mm is pretty hard to beat for a pistol, and a 38/357 revolver is pretty tough to be for a wheel gun.

obviously, there may be use criteria that would lead one to a different outcome than the two listed above, which makes perfect sense. Fit the gun to what you were trying to accomplish. If your goal is defense in big Bear country, a 9 mm probably isn’t a good choice. Use your head and make your decisions wisely.

Just a thought, get a class on firearms basics. Then rent a 22 from the range, auto or revolver.
Spend a wile getting comfortable with a side arm with little recoil. Then try different ones. Learn to manage recoil. Then think about what suits you.
It's very personal. Recoil scares many, don't "Over Gun" yourself, you'll change your mind to soon if you do 😁

Idea to think on.

Most everyone can "Operate" a car with a little help. Few can truly "Drive One"

Last edited:
If you have a range in your area that let’s you rent and try before you buy I suggest it. I’ve bought a few that I thought I would like and ended up not, everybody has their own feel and ergonomics. It also depends on what you want the function of that pistol to be…home/personal defense, hunting, bear protection, etc

Bob-WY - A semi auto pistol will be more comfortable to carry for your required application. Glocks are simple to use and will work. My old Generation I Model 23 in .40 has many thousands of rounds through it without a malfunction. Revolvers are pretty much fool proof but a bit more bulky to carry. Prior to being issued the Glock, I carried a S&W Model 19 4" in .357 Mag. Then we were upgraded to the S&W 686 in .357 Mag. I carried a S&W Model 19 in 2.5" .357 for covert work - that one wasn't especially fun to shoot with the recoil and muzzle blast. I killed lots of crippled deer and a few moose with both the .40 and .357 Mag. Proper bullet placement with either will stopped a canine.

I believe his comment was simplicity of revolver

He is a retired swat commander from Miami and still teaches tactics and firearms to all manner of law enforcement, pretty sure he can give me the basics
That’s a better explanation. Hope you can spend some time with him on the range. Good luck!

I'm more interested in the "recent run-ins with coyotes while tracking/gutting deer". Can you elaborate on these encounters?

Having a wide variety of handguns, If I was going to only have one and not for daily carry, I would choose a revolver. A 686 is hard to beat but there are probably more affordable options that will accomplish the same thing. I would opt for a .357 with a 6" barrel but I agree with the multiples who said, go to a good shop and hold several. Glocks are great but if you are comfortable carrying a gun chambered with no safety then I think double action revolvers are a good choice.

Assuming you have pistol shooting expertise. A snubby is not a beginner's gun by any stretch.
Accuracy, velocity, safety...?
I don't lose much capability when switching from 4" to snubs. Different applications.

As for the OP, seems he has adequate guidance. Post #29.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back