Caribou Gear Tarp

grouse hunting in california

Yes. Big state. Where in CA and what kind of grouse are you looking for?

I was thinking about headed to mammoth area mono county. I am trying to harvest all the upland birds in California. scooty/blue grouse. I already harvest my first wild turkey, and i am planning anothor hunt at mount palomar next week. I would appreciate any advice you could give me, and i am willing to drive to ends of the state to complete my goal.

Ok. Cool. Sooty grouse can only be taken North of the Kern County Line in California and the populations aren't really thick even in the places where they are strongest so I would first recommend that whatever places you find them in, keep those to yourself. The second suggestion that I have is that you get out and walk instead of driving roads. Driving roads can be okay for scouting areas that hold grouse but the birds in such areas are usually accustomed enough to vehicular traffic that they will let you roll right past them.

My best luck comes on North, North East facing slopes that have some old growth trees where the stands of timber are thin enough to allow enough light through to allow an under-story of shrubs to thrive. It is said that the birds survive on juniper needles, and indeed all of my birds have had juniper needles in their crops; but they also had berries and other unidentifiable forage. One location I hunt has no water nearby that I can find while another has many seeps and springs. In the area where there is plenty of water I tend to find large solitary birds on the ground early in the morning and late in the afternoon in the forest near relatively dry and open areas. Near the spring run off where the cover is thick, I tend to run into small coveys which I am told by the biologist are more likely to be hens with their young of the year (foraging for insects).

Another tip is to scout locations during the spring. They make a low pitch booming sound which is difficult as hell to locate but it will tell you if you are in the right habitat. If you want to get an idea of both the sound and habitat, take a slow hike up the first few miles of the Mt. Whitney trail out of Whitney Portal in June. That's another clue. The Whitney Portal is at 8k feet.

Good luck.

Also: I have heard more than one report that they don't taste good. So if you bag any, please bring them to me for disposal.

Last edited:
Ok. Cool. Sooty grouse can only be taken North of the Kern County Line in California and the populations aren't really thick even in the places where they are strongest so I would first recommend that whatever places you find them in, keep those to yourself. The second suggestion that I have is that you get out and walk instead of driving roads. Driving roads can be okay for scouting areas that hold grouse but the birds in such areas are usually accustomed enough to vehicular traffic that they will let you roll right past them.

My best luck comes on North, North East facing slopes that have some old growth trees where the stands of timber are thin enough to allow enough light through to allow an under-story of shrubs to thrive. It is said that the birds survive on juniper needles, and indeed all of my birds have had juniper needles in their crops; but they also had berries and other unidentifiable forage. One location I hunt has no water nearby that I can find while another has many seeps and springs. In the area where there is plenty of water I tend to find large solitary birds on the ground early in the morning and late in the afternoon in the forest near relatively dry and open areas. Near the spring run off where the cover is thick, I tend to run into small coveys which I am told by the biologist are more likely to be hens with their young of the year (foraging for insects).

Another tip is to scout locations during the spring. They make a low pitch booming sound which is difficult as hell to locate but it will tell you if you are in the right habitat. If you want to get an idea of both the sound and habitat, take a slow hike up the first few miles of the Mt. Whitney trail out of Whitney Portal in June. That's another clue. The Whitney Portal is at 8k feet.

All very solid advice. Also bear in mind that Blue (Dusky/Sooty) grouse are reverse migrators. Meaning they breed and summer down in the valleys and creek bottoms and move uphill as winter nears. Their diet shifts accordingly. By winter, they are 99% on conifer needles, but in summer and early fall, berries/insects/miscellaneous forbs and leaves make up the vast majority. They are suckers for berries in particular. Males will migrate high before the females and young. Some times we find males @ timberline in summer, but won't see a hen up there until the snow has flown.

Point being - where you find them in Spring and summer is often very different from where you find them in Fall. Listening for hoots in spring is a good tip.

Also: I have heard more than one report that they don't taste good. So if you bag any, please bring them to me for disposal.

nasty things :) . I'll volunteer to dispose of them as well.

Great pointers.
Hunted them around Mammoth & above Bishop.
Mostly on west side near my cabin @ Huntington Lake & almost always around 8k-9k.
Fall & spring.Same areas. Mtn quail too. I would go deer hunting & run into grouse.Take my shotgun & a buck would run off.
Go fishing,run into grouse or quail.

Last edited:
I am also a fledgling California bird hunter. Started hunting when I lived in Nevada, and am trying to keep up the addiction after moving to CA this year. Anyone know why the CA grouse season is so short, compared to say Nevada's season which runs from September through December? The CA season is only a month long.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back