Grouse during Elk season question

Emberglo

So, I was watching Randy's live podcast tonight, and he answered a question that he will shoot grouse with a rifle while elk hunting.

Will the sound not scare elk or other animals out of the area? I wanted to carry something along on my hunt to take grouse. I've got a .22 pistol with low noise rounds. Is that ok to use during a hunt? Or would something like a slingshot be better?

I prefer a judo/small game point on an extra arrow...no bang. A slingshot if you can get a head shot would be great too.

That's what I'd do if archery hunting, but I've got a rifle tag.

I carry a browning buckmark for just this purpose. ;)

Ever seen it have any effect on animals in the area? I've got a little walther and a box of remington cbees. They still seem pretty loud to me.

I have never taken a shot with it around big game animals I was hunting. I will say, from my perspective as a whitetail hunter to begin with, that elk and mule deer are MUCH more tolerant of noise. Snap a twig in the WT woods and you won't see anything for hours, while my buddy and I have shot mule deer bucks from the same group 30 seconds apart. After the first was shot the rest of the group just stood there. Even after the second was shot a couple of does didn't leave until we had walked to with 30 yds of them.
That's what I'd do if archery hunting, but I've got a rifle tag.

Ever seen it have any effect on animals in the area? I've got a little walther and a box of remington cbees. They still seem pretty loud to me.

I've 22 Ruger revolver I used to carry to pot grouse, but got tired of the noise and weight. Then I carried a pocket-rocket slingshot, but got tired of that too. So now I throw rocks and branches, if the urge overwhelms me. Primitive, but satisfying.

Is killing a grouse that big a deal???? I sure wouldn't touch off my rifle while elk hunting for a grouse. To each their own but I can buy chicken for about $1 a lb.....my shells cost more than that to reload.

could always get a suppressor for a .22 and carry that

Is killing a grouse that big a deal???? I sure wouldn't touch off my rifle while elk hunting for a grouse. To each their own but I can buy chicken for about $1 a lb.....my shells cost more than that to reload.

could always get a suppressor for a .22 and carry that

While I agree, there is an element of adverse effect on the elk hunt popping off a .22 round or two, while hunting with friends and enjoying camp each night and letting the *dogs* rest, so to say, there is a special aspect of hunting when having some grouse cooking over the fire however it is cooked versus chicken whether free or whatever value bought from a store...

Myself, I occasionally carry the cb .22 rounds and may pop a grouse or two on the return trip back to camp. I wish MT would allow the use of a sling shot for grouse however it is a regulated "upland game bird" thus FWP, Helena Enforcement advised me it is NOT a legal weapon to use... :( It is what it is though to others, if it checks out as legal to use in your state - THAT would be the resolution to all concerns. I'll have to remember not to use the long dead tree limb to wack one in the future having learned that too, is not a legal "weapon" for hunting grouse.

In the end, for myself, grouse are worth much more than any priced chicken... how to go about harvesting a grouse seems a choice for each hunter to make. I would cap one off if the opportunity presented.

I carry a pellet pistol and it works great! its quite and light.

Shoot a grouse with an elk rifle???

Has he ever found one that he hit? Pieces maybe.

I've shot grouse with 06 several times. Gotta hit 'em in the head and all's good. Sometimes I think just the muzzle blast does the job. But it is an expensive way to harvest grouse given today's cost of ammunition.

WHAT? It's illegal to kill grouse with rocks in Montana? I'm not one to flaunt the law, but people have been killing grouse with rocks in Montana for 10,000 years. A warden may give you a ticket, but what jury is going to convict you?

Too funny Ben Long!!!

Many a grouse has died to a frustrated elk archer but an -.06 to the head. Lol

WHAT? It's illegal to kill grouse with rocks in Montana? I'm not one to flaunt the law, but people have been killing grouse with rocks in Montana for 10,000 years. A warden may give you a ticket, but what jury is going to convict you?

I always thought it was kind of weird. Same way I feel about catching fish with your bare hands, which is also illegal.

We archery hunted the Beaverhead National Forest for elk one year and I shot a few grouse and I made grouse noodle soup back at camp, delicious....

I carry a browning buckmark for just this purpose. ;)

This is my solution. I have been in bow range of elk more than once within minutes of shooting birds with shotguns and dogs. It's possible, but, IMO, very unlikely, that a rimfire will have too much negative effect.

In the end, for myself, grouse are worth much more than any priced chicken... how to go about harvesting a grouse seems a choice for each hunter to make. I would cap one off if the opportunity presented.

I concur. We have even instituted our own personal 'limit' policy in our grouse honey hole - no more than 1 each of tree- and ground- shot birds, whether it's a shotgun, pistol, rifle. Any archery shot is fine, any wingshot is fine. This leaves more of the tree-sitters on the mountain to make more grouse and wingshooting or archery hunting grouse is just damn fun. They remain my favorite game bird by far and if push came to shove, probably my favorite game animal. If only there was as much meat on a grouse as an elk.

But it is an expensive way to harvest grouse given today's cost of ammunition.

IME, arrows are by far the most expensive harvest method :) Plus -the last grouse I shot with an 06, I was below the neck by just a touch and I don't care to see that scene again.

I like the pellet gun idea. Is considered a"legal weapon" in Montana?

I think animals are more accustomed to gun shots than we think. Last season while squirrel hunting I killed a squirrel and picked him up. I stood there for a minute to see if there was another, and had good buck walk past me about 15yds. It was thick and had I not tried to get a picture with my phone he wouldn't have gave me a second look. This wasn't during the rut either.

But I still wouldn't dare of shooting a squirrel while deer hunting.

Attachments

• Squirrel deer.jpg
    Squirrel deer.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 236
I always carry a slingshot with me. It is quiet and takes up no space. You will be surprised how accurate one can get with a tree fork and some bands.

Reactions: JAG
Me and my boys brought a 4-10. They used it to shoot other things. On our way out of the woods, we saw tons of elk tracks leading out on top of our original footprints. Elk hate noise from vehicles and gunshot.

Back