Ground blinds

Baz55

I'll be heading out for the Wyoming antelope Opener in Unit 9. My biggest concern is the antelope being spooked by the ground blinds. Ive hunted and killed antelope out of blinds before but they had been put out prior to my arrival. Does it usually take them awhile to get used to the blind? I plan on brushing it in the best I can or blending it in with a water tank or windmill... Any thoughts or statements appreciated.

It been my experience that if you can't tuck the blind in and have to put it out in the open, that antelope have a higher distrust level than if it's been there awhile. That's not to say you can't kill one that soon. I just prefer to have mine sit for some time.

Welcome aboard. I have always put my blinds up a couple weeks before season starts. But if that is not an option put it up and see how they react to it.

I've only killed one antelope out of a blind, but I set up the blind on Friday afternoon and killed the buck about 9:00 Saturday morning. I don't know if I just got lucky, but the antelope paid no attention to the blind. It was cool, but I'm more of a spot and stalk/decoy antelope hunter.

I have had them come in and water 45 minuets after I set the blind up. My blind was set up against an embankment at a spring tank. Shot one of the 4 bucks at 14 yards or something like tat. They were nervous as they always seem to be. Just depends how thirsty they are I guess

Thanks for the info guys! I like the idea of spotting and stalking but feel like I have a better chance to kill of I hunt a waterhole. I have a wyoming map chip and have found several windmills that look like they are a pretty good ways from any main roads. Are those typically good locations?

How much precipitation has the area gotten this summer? Your ability to waterhole an antelope is going to hinge a lot on the availability of water. Less is better in this case.

From what I've been able to keep track of they were hit hard with flash floods back in the beginning of June. Seems like they haven't had much since then.

If too many water sources to cover then the pronghorn can get scared by the blind and have other options. If lots of water, consider looking for fences and seek out where the pronghorn channel through. While a pronghorn can jump a fence, they prefer an open gate or even a spot where the bottom wire is missing or propped up allowing the pronghorn to belly crawl under the fence. Is amazing to see 25 pronghorn running 20 mph and skid to stop at a fence crossing and one by one crawl under the fence.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back