Yeti GOBOX Collection

Great hunt, no deer

A-con

Today was opening day for local deer hunters in central Calif.

I headed up the hill to try and get away from the hordes. They issue 9,000 tags in my local unite (that’s right, nine thousand) it’s like a war zone.
A few months back, I hiked and fished a creek on the edge of some rugged back country, and while up the creek, I saw some interesting back country, that would be difficult to hike in to. The area up to the right in this photo
P1000590.jpg

That was my goal for the morning, to try and get back in there, hoping to get away from the crowds.
Before dawn, I parked the truck and started hiking by moonlight up the creek canyon. A half mile up I crossed the creek and went straight up a steep granite face.
Once on top, I looked back and took this.
P1000649.jpg

Once on top, I found what I was hoping for, a quite, mostly old growth forest.
P1000651.jpg

Easy walking and no sign of any human . Not a boot track or piece of litter anywhere, just animal tracks. Deer tracks, bear tracks, coyote and lion tracks. Lots of lion tracks. I only saw one small buck, but got to spend the whole morning enjoying the peace and quite.
P1000652.jpg

About noon I came out under some power lines that I knew would leed me back to the road where my truck was parked.
P1000656.jpg

Awesome pic! Thanks for sharing 'em! That is some beautiful country!

Heck, when you pull the trigger it ceases to be recreation, at that point it's work, I think you had one of the best types of hunts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back