Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Gps

Elkhunter24

So I have a gps and I am thinking about buying another. One that shows public and private land. Have questions and want to get them answered by ppl who actually use them. What is the best bang for your buck? Easy to use? Ect...

I have the Garmin eTrex 20 with OnXMaps chip. Lightweight, durable, good battery life. Smallish screen but I usually just check it rather than concentrate on navigation. I also have my iPhone with me with OnXMaps Hunt. Mostly for the camera but have used it as my sole gps with good results. It doesn't do well in the cold though.

The private/public land boundaries are shown by various chips that several companies make. They insert into many different makes of gps units. What are you currently using? Perhaps you just need to purchase a map chip for your state? You might not need another gps unit.

bang for the buck? buy any Garmin Oregon model on EBAY.

from 400t to 550t

I use a 550t and it is a great unit. Still have my 400t and nothing wrong eith it either especially if bang fir buck is important.

model numbers increase as they roll out a new model. if it has a "t" at the end it comes with. nationwide topo at 100k scale (without public/private boundsries though). no "t" means no preloaded map.

buy an onx chip for the statecyou want or an onx regional chip for multi stste if needed.

Another good chip is the Trax chips they sell them by individual states for $99.00 or a region with multiple states for $249.00. Great chip also and has land owner phone #'s in it also.

Just to echo what everyone else has said, but if the 450t has done the job so far and doesn't have any damage or defects that would warrant replacing it just get an OnXmaps or similar chip for the areas you need and you're good to go. The only thing that I'd consider a downside with the 450t is that it is lacking on internal memory, so if you wanted to add additional maps or satellite imagery to it via BaseCamp or other software you might run out of room fast. Other than that you're already pretty well set up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back