GPS recommendations

25/06 Rem

I've been planning my 2017 WY antelope hunt for some time and have been accumulating gear. I think I am just about set on gear with one exception: a new GPS. This will be my first DIY antelope hunt and it looks like an OnXMaps chip is pretty much mandatory equipment (or in the very least extremely helpful). I've been looking at a couple of different models that have card slots and was hoping for some input from experienced users. I've been looking mostly at Garmins because that's what I have bought in the past. First up, I've checked out the eTrex Touch. I like the price, small size (maybe), and battery life. I've also looked at the latest iteration of the Oregon. It's got a few more features and bigger display. The cons are price and battery life. I would appreciate any thoughts on these or any other card compatible units.
As always, thanks for passing along any valuable information - 25/06 R.E.M.

I'm happy with my etrex20. I had an Oregon 450 and couldn't stand the touch screen. The display on the etrex is smaller, but it's functional and does what I need it to do. The price is hard to beat, as well, for a GPS that accepts the chips.

I have the Oregon 600 and really like it. with the battery pack I get a full day of hunting out of it with some leftover. I carry some spare batteries just in case. If you have a smart phone, I would suggest going with the touchscreen and getting the biggest one you can afford and will fit in your gear. I didn't get the Montana because it wouldn't fit in my pockets.

As for the chip, Mandatory, yes. Without question.

I used a garmin gpsmap 64s. I found it to be very helpful and have great battery life. I chose it as it appeared to fall perfectly between the oregon and the etrex models.

I'm leaning toward the Oregon or just saying F it and trying the phone thing with an older/used GPS that accepts my chips as a backup.

Apparently I'm hard on GPS units since they only seem to last me about 4 years.

Used the Garmin 60Csx for years before recently switching to the Oregon 650T (Cabelas put on a great sale for these units). I am quite happy I switched to a touchscreen rather than the newest Garmin 64 series; much quicker to navigate. I also considered the Montana series with the larger screen but found it a bit too bulky.

Guys -

Thanks for the valuable insight. I have follow up concerning the chip: is there any downside to getting the chip sooner rather later? I've thought I may go ahead and get the new GPS and chip so I could use it for planning. I'm specifically concerned about revisions to the content. Any advantage to waiting?
Thanks again for all of the great input - 25/06 Rem

Buy the chip now. Updates throughout the year are free and the yearly update is quite cheap.

I bought the Mt 600 when they first came out. I added the chip when I bought it and have updated it as needed. Yes it is big but that's what I wanted a big screen. It's been a great unit, no regrets.

I'm leaning toward the Oregon or just saying F it and trying the phone thing with an older/used GPS that accepts my chips as a backup.

Apparently I'm hard on GPS units since they only seem to last me about 4 years.

I've had mine for about 4 years now and while its working just fine, I'm thinking a new one next year with bigger screen. I think the lifespan of these things is only about 4-5 years because of technology.

As for waiting on the chip, get it now and learn it. Also you can use Garmin Basecamp and access the chip that way as well so you can see it on your computer.

I tried to use the app, but having to preload areas and only being able to use the other features when I have service told me it wasn't worth it. I may revisit that sometime, but for now $100 for the chip is just fine.

I bought the Montana 600 for the big screen. Haven't been sorry..........I got a dash mount that I really like for driving and scouting. Also have the Hiway navigation chip. Not as good as my wife's cell phone GPS but close. The size of the Montana has not been a detriment for me.

from my experience, if you hunt in cold weather, a touch screen is NOT the way to go. once it gets down around 10 or 0 degrees the touch screen does not respond well, or at all.

from my experience, if you hunt in cold weather, a touch screen is NOT the way to go. once it gets down around 10 or 0 degrees the touch screen does not respond well, or at all.

in 4 years I have not had this experience. it is in my pocket, which I guess keeps it warm, and not just left on a log.

Anyone elses Oregon 600 go through batteries like it is a crack addict? I can't figure out if I have something set up wrong. I hardly make it through a day on a set of batteries.

Anyone elses Oregon 600 go through batteries like it is a crack addict? I can't figure out if I have something set up wrong. I hardly make it through a day on a set of batteries.

I use the battery pack, and its pretty decent, full day of hunting out of it.

Thanks for the input guys! My first pronghorn hunt was with a guide on private property. I want to make sure I get the GPS and chip so I can do this right. I think I may go ahead and get everything so I can start playing with it. This community is awesome and I always appreciate everyone's time to reply. Hopefully this all culminates with a goat on the ground next season!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back