GPS recommendations

bwcatripper

I'll be in the market this summer for a GPS, looking to spend under $300.... It needs to be able to accept chips. Any recommendations?

My smartphone has completely replaced my gps. It is so much easier to have everything in one unit that I carry anyway.

I have the smart phone app. It's good for scouting at home but I don't think it's as accurate as my garmin. Plus I don't have high speed internet so loading maps can be a pain. Plus I'd rather lose a $200 gps than a $500 phone

It's a little more than you want to spend, but I love my Garmin Montana. Smart phones can certainly do the same functions as a GPS, but a dedicated GPS has far superior battery life. If you are going to do any kind of backcountry hunt and plan to use a smart phone, you will definitely need some sort of charger.

I've been looking at the garmin montana, thats a good looking unit. I'm definitely leaning towards the 64ST, if i can find one on sale.. It's odd to hear that people think GPS's are obsolete, especially with my Army training, where we still emphasize the use of compasses, maps, terrain features, and actual land navigation, and then after those skills are mastered, do we introduce GPS's.

The Alternative

:rolleyes:what's your alternative then. If you're referring to solely relying on the GPS without having tried and true compass and map, then I agree. I would not go into the field without having maps, compass, and protractor to utilize as back up in the event the GPS failed for some reason.

smart phone 100%

A gps is obsolete in my opinion, but a few guys still use them.

Redundancy is key to survival

I know this post is not necessarily about survival. But, several have posted their thoughts on the use of GPS v. mobile phones. So, let me chime in a minute and bear with me.

I would not go into the field without either of the above. But, I do not rely solely on either. They have their purpose and function. However, in many places we hunt, cellular service is either weak or non existent. No, that doesn't negate the use of the phones GPS system but it limits you to that function alone.

When I go into the field, I carry back up systems.
  • Garmin 64st with applicable OnX Hunt maps installed
  • iPhone
  • Map, Compass, and protractor
  • Satellite phone (I only buy a block of minutes just before the hunt)
In this way, I don't really add that much weight, I have system redundancy, and can get just about anywhere I need to with either. Not to mention the possibility of needing to make an emergency call and knowing my coordinates for evac if required. :eek:

garmin 450 - phones are for the office in my opinion

Great Point

I carry portable chargers for my equipment. In fact, I bought a nice one at K-Mart a couple of years ago that has worked exceptionally well. It's about 2.5" long x .75" wide. Works great in my pack.

It's a little more than you want to spend, but I love my Garmin Montana. Smart phones can certainly do the same functions as a GPS, but a dedicated GPS has far superior battery life. If you are going to do any kind of backcountry hunt and plan to use a smart phone, you will definitely need some sort of charger.

I carry map & compass,Garmin 450T w/onXmaps, love the accuracy. Map system is also loaded in my notebook PC that I keep in my truck. Map & sat. overlays on a decent screen.
Chargers in truck & spare rechargable batteries power all my other electronic gear.

I do have a cell phone I plan to load the new onXmaps system on it. Smaller version of the PC.
Cell phones run down out here quick in NM,so they are always in a charger.
Someday soon they will figure out the battery problem.

All of the electronics is actually a backup for my map & compass. It always works,anywhere.

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back