Caribou Gear

Looking for a gps

220yotekiller

I lost my gps last fall, if any of you guys have one that you are looking to get rid of I might be able to take it off your hands. Not picky on brand, just needs to work.

If you have a smartphone you have the best GPS available, buy OnX or use GoHunt Maps if you subscribe to that service.

Honestly, if I were going to put any money into a device and I even remotely thought I needed public/private boundaries, I'd buy a used iphone even if you didn't use it as your primary phone, don't need service to use the GPS and can update downloaded maps at home.

That being said I have a Garmin inreach mini but can't use it for GPS very effectively without a phone, so, sorry I'm not much help :)

Honestly, if I were going to put any money into a device and I even remotely thought I needed public/private boundaries, I'd buy a used iphone even if you didn't use it as your primary phone, don't need service to use the GPS and can update downloaded maps at home.

That being said I have a Garmin inreach mini but can't use it for GPS very effectively without a phone, so, sorry I'm not much help :)
Thanks for the advice!

Honestly, if I were going to put any money into a device and I even remotely thought I needed public/private boundaries, I'd buy a used iphone even if you didn't use it as your primary phone, don't need service to use the GPS and can update downloaded maps at home
I second that.

I've got a Garmin Oregon 600 sitting around if you're interested. Never used it much, pretty much brand new. Bought it on a Black Friday sale from Cabelas in 2015 for $220. Don't know what it's worth now, make an offer

I've got a Garmin Oregon 600 sitting around if you're interested. Never used it much, pretty much brand new. Bought it on a Black Friday sale from Cabelas in 2015 for $220. Don't know what it's worth now, make an offer
It looks like even used it is out of my price range, I dont want to stiff you. Thanks though!

I've got a Garmin 64s (I think) sitting around with OnX chips for CO and WY. I haven't used it in awhile, so I'd have to find it. Happy to make a good deal.

Lots of used/refurb smartphones around - especially with better cameras that you could leave in a dedicated camera phone case for digiscoping.

Ive considered bringing a "second" phone and using it for this to preserve battery in my primary.

My gps is somewhere buried in a tote. Useless relative to any modern smartphone in terms of screen, battery, weight.

I have an older Garmin Dakota 20 laying around somewhere. I loved that little unit, but don't use it any longer due to smartphone tech. It has an old land ownership chip in it as well for some portion of the western US that cost $100 at the time. I would make a you a good deal on it. PM me if interested.

Curious how you guys get GPS to work without a signal? I have onx maps and go hunt maps on my phone and neither work without a good signal.

I use a garmin Montana with Onx.rechargeable battery and uses triple AAA batteries if other dies. Also have a garmin rino for a topo and radio.

I got a garmin Montana 610 I’ve been trying to sell. Used it once and decided it wasn’t for me.

Curious how you guys get GPS to work without a signal? I have onx maps and go hunt maps on my phone and neither work without a good signal.
If you don't have service you have to download the maps beforehand and use in offline mode.

Back