GPS battery life

old man

How long do batteries last in you GPS and what model. I have a new Garmin Oregon 600 and new batteries will not last a full day with screen off.

My Montana 650 will last most of the day, but also accepts AAs. I just keep a couple extra sets with me just in case.

I have the Garmin Rino 650 It will last over a day if I turn off the radio function, but much shorter with the radio turned on. So if you have a radio function, turn it off and if you need to communicate with somebody just agree to turn it on at periodic agreed upon intervals to talk.

I used lithium's as well and expected them to last a couple 0f days. so now i use rechargeable which last just as long and cheaper in the long run. Anyone try the Gamin battery pack.

Garmin 62 STC about 15 hours with lithiums. I havn't found a rechargable that will last 6 hours so I'll keep rocking the lithiums. I buy them in bulk on ebay. Big up front cost, but less then half the cost of buying at wally world.

Garmin 62 STC about 15 hours with lithiums. I havn't found a rechargable that will last 6 hours so I'll keep rocking the lithiums. I buy them in bulk on ebay. Big up front cost, but less then half the cost of buying at wally world.

Side note: the AAA last forever in my head lamps. I haven't actually killed a set yet so I can't say how long they actually last. I also replaced all of my tv remotes with lithiums!!

If you want a cheap alternative I run the orange AA's from harbor freight in my game camera here at the house. I get about 2 months out of them. It is a primos easy cam. Got one month out of coppertops to compare.

Make sure your setting is correct in your GPS for the batteries you are using. I believe you can tell the GPS if you are using alkaline or lithium in the setup menu.

Make sure your setting is correct in your GPS for the batteries you are using. I believe you can tell the GPS if you are using alkaline or lithium in the setup menu.
Beat me to it. If you're using rechargeables and don't set it to NiMH, your GPSr will "think" the batteries are dead long before they are because they operate at lower voltage than alkaline or lithium.

Ditto.
I use high quality rechargable AA's & AAA's in my gear.Camera,GPS,headlamp & flashlight,rangefinder...
I take a baggie with spares & have a charger in truck.
I keep my cell phone off so it doesn't drain & turn my GPS off when I don't need a track on,which is usually.

Beat me to it. If you're using rechargeables and don't set it to NiMH, your GPSr will "think" the batteries are dead long before they are because they operate at lower voltage than alkaline or lithium.

This. Make sure it's set to lithium. I have had my Garmin Etrex for over a year now and I am still on the same set of Lithiums.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back