Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Got a Woody this Morning...

Well.... The woody I got this morning was a Drake, Justin Shot the Hen. "We" also took some Malards. I say "we" because I want to get invited back out, And, I didn't want to take all the ducks home ;)

Here is DOC Andrews on the Left and Justin on the right:

ducks2.jpg

Here is Carter again and me on the Right :

ducks3.jpg

Here are the Birds up close :

ducks1.jpg

Quail, Greeny, Woody, 2 more greenies, Hen Woody, and another Greeny.

........ All in all it wasn't a bad trip.

The morning for me started off bad. I went out with Doc Andrews last night and his wife. We're good friends with them and they go to church with my wife. He was like, "Oscar, I got access to some land on the Payette river if you want to slip out with me and my brother in law in the morning." So, Although I'm gone all next weekend again for Whitetail, My wife gave the "PASS" to go out untill noon..... (Or after 2 when I got home....) But she knows darn good and well I can't keep time :D

Anyways, we got in last night and I went to "bed" a little late. Got all my gear ready before we hit the hay and this morning my wife was like... "Oscar, It's 6:05 AM, Who's knocking at the door." ..........|oo |oo

Well, It's been years since I slept in...... ;) but I didn't set the alarm right so here I am running to the door in my Undies and telling Carter to give me 3 mins !!

I grab all my Chizz and since I just detailed my truck, Carter said we should take his Ride. I jump in and we're off. Now, 3 mins isn't a long time but I thought I had everything. We were just going to Jump shoot a couple ditches and chase some Pheasant. But, I forgot my Bird vest..... And my shells :eek:

Carter gladly sold me a box of shells at $30 a box... ;)

So we start the morning with me being the brunt of the jokes. Which I'm used to. It quickly turned around when a couple other things happened.... So now the Focus changed to Justin.... then Carter :D

Anyways, this place we hunted wasn't just a "Little" place he has access too, It's heaven. Several MILES along the river and alot ... I mean walk for 4 hours and not cover 1/2 of it alot.... Huge prime habitat. We saw deer, Pheasants, Ducks, Yotes, ...the works. We jumped a groop of about 40 Woodies up from one small pond. Unfortunately Carters gun was Jamming all day and I didn't have any good shots through the Brush from the angle we came from but we managed to knock a wood duck Drake down. We sent all the ducks over to Justin's way. Justins gun must have been "off" because when he unloaded his gun, reloaded, and unloaded again, (Ohhh yah, there was that many ducks and that much time) ... only 1 of the 40 ducks that flew withing 10 feet of him laid dead....

.... You know, neither one of them is registered on hunttalk so we only have my side of the story, so you just have to believe my side ... ;)

Seriously though, we didn't bring a dog so we let litterally "umteen" ducks fly away that were over water. Some ducks even jumped up, hovered over the water right in front of us, then flew out. It would have been a great day for the camcorder. Next time..... Next time.....

Long story cut short, Next time we're bringing a dog and a limit of Woodies home :D

Now I know why I always bring extra shells, clothing, and on occasion, and extra gun. Moosie, can't wait to kill some stuff with ya. That is, if Vicki will let you leave the house?

Thanks for the pic's Moosie, the doc is ready to release me to go chasing, so I'll do my best to get the dawg some work, and hopefully some birds I haven't shot before...buffies and cinn teal...what are the odds of that?

Odds ? Well... about 0 to none for Buff's and Cini Teals. Green wing teals you can get maybe.... Malards, Gadwalls, Golden eyes, Woodies, Wigeon... All a possibility..... but the other two ? Sorry, No Bueno, good luck Amigo !!!

Looks like fun Moosie...I get a woody just thinking about getting a woody. I have a hen and drake woody that I need to get mounted.

Back