PEAX Equipment

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

Biologically speaking, I don't care what age of ram is harvested. Harvest from most sheep herds is managed to be so miniscule that it doesn't make a difference. But if MT has a regulation in place, they should enforce it. And in the case of Political Piss Fest units in MT, it is in the best interest of the future of the hunt to not allow younger rams to be harvested (so that the quotas are not filled quickly).

Obviously we all prefer that older rams are harvested. I don't think it matters biologically. In Colorado, many herd management plans are written to manage for an "average age of harvested ram." So if people are whacking 4 year old rams when there are plenty of 8 year old rams available, it can potentially influence future ram quotas. Otherwise, I wouldn't be too concerned about things like this CO being killed on a half-curl minimum regulation.

View attachment 304853
Totally agree that harvesting those dinks probably isn’t an issue biologically and in CO with a limited number of permits probably isn’t a concern. My beef with the current system in MT’s unlimited units is that those dinks are potentially future great rams and once 2 get killed it’s over for everyone. So the dinks get wacked and the old rams get to die of old age? It makes no sense. Just because “we can” shoot dinks doesn’t mean we should. As has been stated, these aren’t whitetail does.

Do you think they’ll disqualify me from winning the Barbary sheep hunt with him if I wear my Baling Twine Outfitters shirt to the breakfast?

Baling Twine Outfitters
Slamming Dinks since 2021

In the event that I win, I have about 100 low key insults to sprinkle in during the hunt:

“Nah that one looks like it’s only 4 years old, it’d be a real shame to shoot one that young.”

[I glass up a lamb] “Where’s my gun?? Every lamb is a trophy, right?”

You guys see that Boddington is the key note speaker at the Life breakfast this year. That dudes gotta feel uncomfortable presenting in a room full of passionate sheep nerds right? Will any comments be made from from the peanut gallery?
I seen that and will be there at the breakfast to hopefully but doubtful win a desert sheep hunt but I was then thrilled to see he was going to be the guest speaker.

Do you think they’ll disqualify me from winning the Barbary sheep hunt with him if I wear my Baling Twine Outfitters shirt to the breakfast?

Baling Twine Outfitters
Slamming Dinks since 2021

In the event that I win, I have about 100 low key insults to sprinkle in during the hunt:

“Nah that one looks like it’s only 4 years old, it’d be a real shame to shoot one that young.”

[I glass up a lamb] “Where’s my gun?? Every lamb is a trophy, right?”
I actually won’t put money on that raffle just because he is going to be a part of it.

I didn't see it posted, below is the department response to the UL proposal:

Department Response: The department appreciates the proposed amendment’s attempt to address sheep management and harvest concerns. However, the commission does not have the authority to direct the department to use a drawing versus an over-the-counter purchase option. See § 87-2-113, MCA. Instead, it is the department’s authority to determine when a drawing for any license opportunity is necessary. Additionally, the commission does not have authority to prohibit a member of the public from obtaining a license authorized by the legislature – as that authority rests with the legislature. In § 87-2-702(1), MCA, the law states that any person who kills a game animal (except elk, deer, or antelope), cannot acquire a special license during that same license year. Moreover, any successful sheep hunter must wait seven years before obtaining another sheep license – whether limited or unlimited. See § 87-2-702(4), MCA. Therefore, the department is concerned that given the legislature’s specificity on the issuance of special licenses, and time periods for ineligibility – the commission may not create a regulation restricting certain individuals from obtaining a sheep license. The commission does have authority to create a bonus point system. See § 87-2-117, MCA. Therefore, it is the commission’s purview to determine how the bonus point system for any species should be implemented. Given these different authorities, the commission has two options related to how bonus points are administered: 1) Drawing The first option is to require an applicant in the unlimited sheep draw to automatically use any accumulated bonus points in the drawing. Bonus points could be purchased at the time of application or between July 1st and September 30th. Applicants acquiring unlimited licenses through the drawing have their bonus points reduced to zero. Drawing applicants would not be eligible to purchase an unlimited sheep license over the counter, as this option would not be available. 2) Over the Counter / Point of Sale The second option is to offer unlimited bighorn sheep licenses to the public through an over-the counter/point of sale purchase. Individuals that purchased licenses over the counter would also have the ability to purchase a bonus point later in the year, so their bonus point balance would not change among years when an unlimited license was purchased over the counter. The commission could direct the department to have all individuals use any accumulated sheep bonus points upon purchase of the license. Purchasers of the over-the-counter license would not be eligible to apply for an unlimited sheep license via drawing during the same year. The two options available to the commission to allocate hunting opportunity within unlimited license quotas is entirely social in nature and would have no adverse effects on bighorn sheep populations within these hunting districts. Summary: The commission could direct the department to automatically use any bonus point when a person purchases an unlimited sheep license. However, § 87-2-117(6), MCA, already requires the department to delete an individual’s bonus points when the person “obtains the license.” Therefore, the commission could request the department to only use an over-the-counter/point of sale mechanism to simplify how bonus points are administered and removed. Requiring the department to forfeit a person’s bonus points when they simply apply for a license would violate § 87-2-117(6), MCA.

I thought I might share my ram with the group.
21 days and 186 miles spent in the unit this fall.
Connected on the ram solo in November.

I was on the ram the previous day, as he made his way down a steep ridge line and into the timber.
With the rifle set up on a tripod, I waited 6 hours for him to make a move, which he never did.
The next day I found that he had made his way up the next mountain without coming
in to view. At 10,000 ft. I caught up to him on a windswept slope. 194 yard shot frontal shot as he stood
to look at the movement as I crawled up to a low rise beneath him.

Was able to get him sealed within the time period and then made a trip back in for the second load.
Snow conditions were fairly difficult and I used Vert snowshoes nearly the entire time. These are non articulating climbing tools
that we use for climbing ski/snowboard lines.
6 1/2 years old with 15" bases.

The Dall was also a walk-in, solo hunt from this August in AK. (9 y/o, 40 1/2"x13 1/2, B&C Green 165)

IMG_0381.jpgIMG_0289 2.jpg
IMG_0175.jpg
C2FAE5E9-D325-40A1-BE98-21346C26E489.JPG

Last edited:

I was on the ram the previous day, as he made his way down a steep ridge line and into the timber.
With the rifle set up on a tripod, I waited 6 hours for him to make a move, which he never did.
The next day I found that he had made his way up the next mountain without coming
in to view. At 10,000 ft. I caught up to him on a windswept slope. 194 yard shot frontal shot as he stood

Was able to get him sealed within the time period and then made a trip back in for the second load.
Snow conditions were fairly difficult and I used Vert snowshoes nearly the entire time. These are non articulating climbing tools

The Dall was also a walk-in, solo hunt from this August in AK. (9 y/o, 40 1/2"x13 1/2, B&C Green 165)

View attachment 312795View attachment 312796
View attachment 312797
View attachment 312794
Absolutely amazing wherewithal to make 186 miles happen. Glad to see someone put in the effort met with reward. I hope to make it one day.

View attachment 312797
View attachment 312794
Congrats on both rams. What a year you had!

Congratulations! From your pictures it appears the 6.5 bighorn was bigger bodied than the 9.5 dall, is that reality?

Congratulations! From your pictures it appears the 6.5 bighorn was bigger bodied than the 9.5 dall, is that reality?
Most definitely. I was a little shocked when I walked up to the Bighorn, wondering what I had gotten myself into. I’ve taken 6 Dall Sheep, from 9-12 years old and none were as big as this guy. The Dall from this season was pretty good sized though, as pictured.

Honestly I was looking for something older, 8+. Even when I had this guy in my scope I was ready to let him walk and gave him 30 seconds to do that, as he was staring me down. The internal dialogue I was having was conflicted. In the end I was confident that he was legal and did make the decision to pull the trigger. I’m very happy with him and thankful for how this sheep season came to an end.

7 years from now I’ll certainly hold out for an older ram, if this great opportunity is still available.

IMG_0212.jpeg

IMG_8219.jpeg

186 miles in 21 days? Superman stuff.

Nice rams!
Thank you.
2 trips down there. One in September with a couple friends. This was mostly nice weather and really enjoyable. Did not see a single ram though. It felt more like a scouting trip with lots of miles and great fishing.. though I took a stupid Tenkara rod that kept breaking. Wont make that mistake again. The second was solo in November. Less miles overall, but a way more challenging and serious hunt due to the cold and snowy conditions. I definitely took some risks in high consequence terrain.

Last edited:
Do you mind dropping the details on that sheep rifle set up? It seems like you have it dialed in, to say the least

Here is the build thread for this particular gun on Rokslide.
The gun was in its 6.5 CM configuration, shooting G9 Defense 113 Long Range Hunter ammuntion for the Bighorn, though now it is a 6 CM.
All of my Dall Sheep have been with a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 CM and Barnes 127 LRX, with the exception of this years Dall, which was also with the G9 Defense ammo. It is a monolithic brass projectile that shears off petals for a wide permanent wound cavity while still having great penetration.

View attachment 312797
View attachment 312794
Congratulations! A half slam in one year that’s impressive. What’s next?

Last edited:
A biological question about the younger harvests, seems like it could hurt the genetics in the area like antler point restrictions have. Removing the quicker growing horns / antlers genetics from the herds. But with the lower harvest number in the unlimited's it might not have a drastic effect. BTW I think if myself or anyone else shoot's an illegal animal you should be done hunting that species for life in that State, Influencers included & made example of.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back