Caribou Gear

Good Old Gregg Ritz in trouble!

I travel around deer hunting quite a bit and you wind up in camps with complete strangers who are also traveling. It's really shocking to me how many of these dudes ( a large percentage) don't even want the meat after they kill a deer. They give it away to one of those feel good programs or someone working for the outfitter, then take their antlers and cape home to the taxi.

The meat is a big part of why I hunt and it's the reason I don't make trips to places like Alaska hunting anymore where it is cost prohibitive to get your meat home.

This is very common in the TV world; almost the expected production guideline in the whitetail world to make sure you get the best morning light for footage and images. It pisses me off. I've stated so, many times.
I would have never thought of this but being from Pa and a whitetail hunter here I have never left a deer over night and almost always is at a butcher shop same night
I guess they dont care about the meat at all and that tells me they have lost all respect for the animals they shoot, thats sad and Im glad I dont watch them on TV
Even if this is your business and harvest many deer a year their are lots of folks that can use the meat. Maybe folks will wise up and stop watching shows like these

The premeditated part of this, leaving the deer overnight for pictures and then leaving the whole animal after that, leaves to the imagination how many times Ritz most likely has done this.

I saw him once in the Vancouver airport. He flew to Whitehorse on the same plane I did, no doubt going to hunt with his buddy Shockey. The "out of shape looking" eastern guys were all over him, bragging about the bucks they have killed in their life, to a guy they know only on TV. He was soaking it all in, the fame and all. But I didn't judge him because I didn't know him.

If convicted, wasting that deer should be the end of his "Professional TV" career.

Last edited:
This is very common in the TV world; almost the expected production guideline in the whitetail world to make sure you get the best morning light for footage and images. It pisses me off. I've stated so, many times.

When you see this happen on an episode, mostly on whitetail TV, it is almost purely for the benefit of better light. You will hear all kinds of reasons for doing it, but at the core, it is because they want better lighting. Occasionally you will see it happen due to a marginal shot, but that is seldom the reason for leaving an animal overnight.

I thought I was crazy when I've noticed this. I've even complained it about it to my wife. Unfortunately, as much as I enjoy The Hunting Public they seem to do this as well. I've been confused to see a buck killed and recovered at night, only to then see montage in the bright morning light of hunter and buck in the same field. It doesn't make any sense to me.

I thought I was crazy when I've noticed this. I've even complained it about it to my wife. Unfortunately, as much as I enjoy The Hunting Public they seem to do this as well. I've been confused to see a buck killed and recovered at night, only to then see montage in the bright morning light of hunter and buck in the same field. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Many people do hold on to a night recovered deer for the morning camera shoot. Some do it right field dressing, removing the deer from the field and cooling it down. Then they pull it back out to an appropriate location for the camera. What this guy did is unforgivable.

Many people do hold on to a night recovered deer for the morning camera shoot. Some do it right field dressing, removing the deer from the field and cooling it down. Then they pull it back out to an appropriate location for the camera. What this guy did is unforgivable.
That could be a ton of work lol...that photo better really be worth it - I'm sure there are plenty of instances where it is. I'm just usually pretty unfortunate and end up so far from the truck or a good trail or road that I pack out anyway - what I get for a photo is what I get right on scene...alot of times in fading light if I'm lucky.

That could be a ton of work lol...that photo better really be worth it - I'm sure there are plenty of instances where it is. I'm just usually pretty unfortunate and end up so far from the truck or a good trail or road that I pack out anyway - what I get for a photo is what I get right on scene...alot of times in fading light if I'm lucky.
More so for the Hunting Public guys since they have to use a cart or drag. Otherwise, gut it and pull it up the truck or SxS. It's a tuff life being a hunting "celeb"

In light of the comments about waiting to get pictures in a better light, if the deer is field dressed and cooled down I seriously doubt there’s any spoilage.

I commonly hang deer hide on for several days before butchering unless I am packing it out on my back. Then it is taken apart immediately.

I also understand the effort of transporting a deer back out to the woods for good trophy photos if that’s what is desired for good B-roll.

However, always, always, this should only be done after taking consideration of properly caring for the meat.

In light of the comments about waiting to get pictures in a better light, if the deer is field dressed and cooled down I seriously doubt there’s any spoilage.

I commonly hang deer hide on for several days before butchering unless I am packing it out on my back. Then it is taken apart immediately.

I also understand the effort of transporting a deer back out to the woods for good trophy photos if that’s what is desired for good B-roll.

However, always, always, this should only be done after taking consideration of properly caring for the meat.
Just what I remember from the hunting public videos is that all their day after shots are field dressed deer. unless they cant find it the night before. But they damn sure try their hardest it seems.

There are going to be times in every hunter’s career that poorly shot game has to be left for several hours before taking up the blood trail.

I have learned from experience that a gut shot animal is more often recovered after leaving it for 6-8 hours.

Better to find it stiff in the morning than push it after dark.

I enjoy watching THP, nothing that I have seen on their channel comes across as shameful or suspicious. You would have to have some big rocks to do some dirty work on

public land where there is an abundance of hunters. When I kept seeing Gregg Ritz Farm for sale Video on YouTube it came across as the side of hunting that is repulsive.

Am I the only one who has noticed that a lot of these tv hosts getting charged are all on Team Realtree? Does Bill Jordan go around picking poor promotional candidates to represent his brand?

I enjoy watching THP, nothing that I have seen on their channel comes across as shameful or suspicious. You would have to have some big rocks to do some dirty work on

public land where there is an abundance of hunters. When I kept seeing Gregg Ritz Farm for sale Video on YouTube it came across as the side of hunting that is repulsive.

100% agree. I think they're great and I'm sure they take full care to protect the meat from spoiling. I was just confused the first time it went from dark recovery and pictures to daylight picture montage. My brain literally went, "Did they bring the deer back out to the field just take more pictures.....?" I doubt they would leave it after the found it. Although they have left a couple overnight on what looked like really good shots only to find them 50 yards away piled up the next morning. But I'm sure it was cold enough it was ok.

All in all, I'm not trying to be critical of them. I was just so confused the first time I saw the daylight pictures lol.

I can understand not pushing and losing a wounded critter at sunset but how hard is it to take care of the meat and script an appropriate epilogue with a film crew/posse?

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrturtle
Back