Good job Wayne

I often wonder if this is just the typical evolution of any non-profit. All started with the best intentions, then money starts coming in and success breeds confidence. Then more and more money, which eventually becomes the problem. It's crazy how much fraud there is. Either the CEO is so focused on the "Mission" that someone below them starts skimming or the guy in charge says "I'm doing such a good job raising money I should take a little bit to treat myself." Even without that, eventually people just start questioning if the money is being used effectively, like the Red Cross or DU or so many others. It becomes hard to defend the organization. Clearly Wayne's situation went a different way.

For many years, a lot of people got crap from family or friends for not contributing to the NRA.

"Gotta support our gun rights". "It's a slippery slope" "Why don't you contribute?" "They are gonna take our guns away"
"I've got my lifted truck, with an NRA sticker slapped on the rear window, where's yours?" Big truck, small brain.

One's contributions was like a badge of honor or a disgrace.

Stupid peer pressure and idiots.

I wonder how those people feel now, knowing where their contributions went. Buying olives for the martinis on the jets was what the contributions amounted to.

Will they remember those they ridiculed and embarrassed, go back and give apologies for how they acted?

Probably not, will find some excuses and blame others.

I got tired of the incessant mail from NRA soliciting funds for their war chest and every other conceivable reason, usually 3-4 times per week it seemed. Decided I didn't need to fund them so cancelled my sub years ago.
Same here.

Further, our local Friends of the NRA efforts were always near the top in the nation for donations raised. It is now defunct.

Same here.

Further, our local Friends of the NRA efforts were always near the top in the nation for donations raised. It is now defunct.

Check it out. Declining membership (at least 20 % down) in the last 10 years.

KInd of dispells the myth that the NRA is the reason why people shoot up schools.

Yep. Our local range requires NRA membership. I spend a lot of time searching the grass on a local BLM section for my spent brass.
Yeah, that really annoys me when it's required. And that seems to be pretty common, I have a buddy in Maine who can't find a place to shoot near him for this reason... I wonder how many of those ranges are changing that policy right now?

I got tired of the incessant mail from NRA soliciting funds for their war chest and every other conceivable reason, usually 3-4 times per week it seemed. Decided I didn't need to fund them so cancelled my sub years ago.
Yah. It was ridiculous. I did the same. I think panhandlers on the corner were more subtle.

Yeah, that really annoys me when it's required. And that seems to be pretty common, I have a buddy in Maine who can't find a place to shoot near him for this reason... I wonder how many of those ranges are changing that policy right now?
Hopefully more. The nra doesnt do enough to existing fight gun laws (nfa, in particular).

When the nra started worshipping a president that wanted more gun control (trump) i decided i was done.

Good question. My grandpa works at a local range/club. He was required to have some NRA range officer cert. I'll have to ask him what they're doing with that now.

Good question. My grandpa works at a local range/club. He was required to have some NRA range officer cert. I'll have to ask him what they're doing with that now.
Does the NRA actually do safety and training anymore? When did that taper off, when I started hunting in 2012 they definitely seemed like more of a political advocacy org and not a safety org per the original intent.

The NRA still does trainings, albeit in a reduced capacity. They offer some LEO trainings that are hard to get into, usually they required advanced certifications and/or SWAT trainings. I looked into the NRA instructor course when NYS passed a law that every handgun permit holder needed to go through a 16 hour mandatory hands on training course. Some folks are charging upwards of $500 per person for that class. Decided against it, not that I don't want people to be proficient in firearms use, but with the way NY works now, I'd be opening myself up to a lot of liability issues.

Does the NRA actually do safety and training anymore? When did that taper off, when I started hunting in 2012 they definitely seemed like more of a political advocacy org and not a safety org per the original intent.
I worked in the summer camp industry for a while, and NRA certs for firearms instructors were required. Many camps struggled to find anyone with the cert, which is among several reasons most summer camps no longer do riflery around here.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back