Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Goat Taxidermists / Examples

hk_willow

Its getting close to Goat time, and was wondering if anyone has had good / bad experiences with taxidermists as this will be my first animal to take to one. Also what questions should I ask them, I don't want shoddy work, as its a once in a lifetime opportunity. Thinking shoulder mount or 1/2 mount with some rock.
Also if you have any favorite poses or pictures i'd be interested in looking at them. I kind of like this one and have spent a little bit of time on google searching but you may have something not on google!
Thanks much,
WB
00small53005903.JPG

That really is a nice pose. I think I like it better than most of the full body mounts I've seen.

The full body mounts usually have to go way up on the wall and you don't really get to see the goat up close and personal. You could have that about eye level and it would look good.

I agree. with a goat tag in my pocket, that makes me thinking about doing something like that. MtMiller has a cool shoulder mount too, I think pedestal. I'll see if I can track it down.

Awesome Baerman! I think i'll see what the pricing differences are for the pedestal and 1/2... I do like the fact that it could be up close and personal. Any suggestions on questions to ask the taxidermist?

hk - I would pm mtmiller or maybe he will pipe in here as he is a goat addict. He has a few goats to know what to look for in a taxidermist for goat. I'd be curious myself to hear if there is anything in particular to look for.

I'm curious also, do you make one cut down the back if doing a full or half mount?

I'm going to try and answer yalls questions regarding the mountain goat mounts. I'm a taxidermist and also was lucky enough to draw a tag and will be in Montana in October chasing one down. As most of you know the skys the limit with taxidermy and if the wildlife artist is" good " it can be turned into a piece of art to enjoy for years to come as an addition to the trophy room. First off is the availability of space to help one decide what mount to choose. As far as commenting on not being up close and personal to a lifesize mount that hangs high on the wall ...that can be solved with a Lifesize floor pedestal mount that can be viewed from a 360 angle where any type of habitat rock can be designed for him/her to stand upon.
As far as skinning goes.... You can either Dorsal "along the back" or Ventral " up the belly" skin them. It really makes no difference just what you feel the most comfortable with making sure to not cut hair and also make straight cuts, not jagged and sloppy. Even though goats have long hair and can help hide alot. A quality mount starts in the FIELD!! hope this helps, Good Luck to the tag holders and hope to start seeing some pics of harvested goats!!

Back