Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

goat questions

You asked a very important question that has been mostly overlooked.

"Also when doing prefect points do you send in the whole license amount and they just refund you?"

Not all states require the tag and license fees up front. Also, not all states refund the license fee if you do not draw a tag.

It may make things easier if you use an application service.
There are several out there. They will charge you $25 - $50 for each state you apply in, but they will help make sure you don't get any surprises as far as refunds or guide requirements.

Cabelas has one. (TAGS)
Huntin fool has a western US service.
Hunters trailhead.

Ect.
Some of these services pay the fees for you and only charge you if you draw a tag. That way you don't have to front the money.

"All applicants are required to purchase a huntng license before being eligible in the Idaho drawing.
All applicants are required to purchase a hunting license before being eligible in the Nevada drawing.
All applicants are required to purchase a hunting license before being eligible in the Oregon drawing.
All applicants are required to purchase a hunting license before being eligible in the Utah drawing."

Wyoming and Colorado require all fees paid upfront, then they return most all of it if unsuccessful.
Montana you have to buy a conservation permit before you can apply.

It may not be worth it to you, but if you really want a goat tag, looking into it cant hurt.

Montana is a great place to start applying due to the relative inexpensiveness of the draw process. Preference points are a arguable subject in Montana. You pay for a preference point but I don't really think it makes much difference. Who is not going to pay two dollars for a preference point? It took me 24 years of applying to finally get a tag this year. You just pay the money and grin and bear it every year until that envelope comes that puts a smile on your face you cant get off! Area 313 has the best odds at about 3%, scary when 3% is good odds but a lot of the state is less than 1%. At your age gaining preference points anywhere you can afford them is a good thing. Good Luck and Good Hunting.

Montana is a great place to start applying due to the relative inexpensiveness of the draw process. Preference points are a arguable subject in Montana. You pay for a preference point but I don't really think it makes much difference. Who is not going to pay two dollars for a preference point? It took me 24 years of applying to finally get a tag this year. You just pay the money and grin and bear it every year until that envelope comes that puts a smile on your face you cant get off! Area 313 has the best odds at about 3%, scary when 3% is good odds but a lot of the state is less than 1%. At your age gaining preference points anywhere you can afford them is a good thing. Good Luck and Good Hunting.

It's $70 non-refundable per species for Non-residents to apply for mountain goat, moose and sheep. There are also quite a few units with better draw odds than 313.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back