Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

goat questions

skimerhorn

Ok I have a lot, sorry. So I want to start building preference points in so.e state to hopefully draw a goat tag one day before I'm to old to go but I'm not sure which state would be the best for chance and quality? I'm 30 now so I figured I may have a shot by the time I'm 45-50? Which state would you guys recommend? Also when doing prefect points do you send in the whole license amount and they just refund you? I'm Goin out soon for a antelope hunt in WY for my first western hunt, but I know that won't compare to a goat hunt. So hopefully some insight on where to start then I'll look into units and start getting I to depth from there, just having trouble finding a starting spot. Thanks for all your help in advance and sorry for the questions that may sound dumb.

Couple thoughts...
You could move to Alaska or BC for a couple of years. I'm serious, most (certainly not all) people are more mobile than they think they are.

Start applying for ID, MT, and CO every year.

If it's more the high country adventure you're after, set a minimum for yourself of a 180" mule deer and spend a couple weeks in legit mountains. There are lots of place you can go on a goat or sheep level hunt for mule deer. This option you could do every year you're physically able.

Roll the dice in ID, CO, WY and UT and put away $50 a week and go hunt BC or AK in 3 or 4 years. Everyone needs a goat hunt in their lifetime.

mtmiller speaks wise words. As much as I hate the auction-type tags, goat tags can typically be had in UT at one of the dinner auctions for less than the cost for AK goat trip if figure costs door to door since AK often has additional flights and gear weight restrictions. You can have a proxy bid for you. Now I must go bathe in bleach.

I can't speak for skimerhorn or anyone else. BUT, I would like to do a goat hunt sometime before I die. The catch is that I wouldn't know a decent goat opportunity if it bit me & (at the moment) I couldn't judge a trophy quality goat if my life depended on it. So, here's my question:

Would you still rank/prioritize these tags the same?

Specifically,some of the hunts that you guys with the experience might judge as "average" would be out of this world for someone like myself. Kind of like a young hunter's first deer; quality doesn't necessarily matter as much. Or, some might argue that quality would be wasted on the inexperienced who might not fully appreciate it.

Any other other areas worth mentioning that might present lower hanging fruit? or re-focus on a couple in particular?

Couple thoughts...
You could move to Alaska ... for a couple of years.

As soon as I get these boys of mine through college (current ages 2.5 and 2 months) I'm moving to Alaska. I'll hunt sheep, goats, bear, moose, and caribou every year until my legs won't carry me up the mountains any more, then retire back to the lower-48. We can all dream!

Any other other areas worth mentioning that might present lower hanging fruit? or re-focus on a couple in particular?

No, there isn't. Everybody is in the same boat and would take any goat tag, so they're all very hard to draw.

Even the nanny tags in Utah are less than 3% chance of drawing. As a nonresident, the only way you can say for sure you'll be goat hunting in the next 20 years is by booking a hunt in Alaska or BC. And really, a guided hunt now there won't cost much more than what you'll likely have invested in drawing the western states, and you'll never even be guaranteed the tag and won't know your health when you finally do draw.

Figured I'd hear something like that. Too bad I know less about guided hunting than I do about trying to get tough tags. Guess I better start doing my homework. Thanks

Looks like I'll be putting I for preference points I UT and Co until I save up enough money and think I'm ready to go before I'll put my name I the draw.

All I can add is that if it were me, and I didn't already have a goat, I would book a hunt in AK or Canada sooner rather than later. I would scrimp and save and just go do it now. before things change (think having to draw a tag, price jump, etc.)

Goat hunting is starting to become more popular all the time, and the demand will only drive up price.

I remember when I booked my dall hunt in 1994, I could have booked a stone sheep for about another $1500. The area I killed my dall with an OTC tag I bought at walmart, is now LQ and pretty tough to draw.

Don't wait...just do it.

Depends on your budget. Goat hunts in AK or BC run about the same money. I haven't done much looking lately, but I think goats can be hunted for $6000-$8000. A Dall sheep hunt in AK is going to start out at over $10,000 and a Stone sheep is going to soak you for $30,000. BC, also has bighorn sheep and they seem to be available for @ $25,000.

Thank you very much. You gave me the exact information that I was looking for; and I don't mean any disrespect to anyone.... But, are those kind of prices REALLY worth it?

Only you can answer that question. For me.... nope, I can't justify it. However, I have drawn a Montana goat tag and filled it and have been blessed to accompany four other hunters on their hunts. They are one of my favorite animals to hunt and had I not killed one, I probably would find a way to make it happen. In my hunting career, all of the mountain goat hunts have been the toughest and most enjoyable. The combination of terrain, challenge, hunting style and trophy make for some serious memories. What are these memories worth? Randy's recent quote from his AK bear hunt when he reflected on the life of his uncle Elton comes to mind "
Elt’s memory was heavy on my mind all day. When we last met and I was able to help get out and about a bit, his was already tarnished by the indignities cancer forces upon you. Needing help for even some of life’s most basic functions is hard for anyone; harder for a man of his independence and self-reliance. In this last time we visited in person, he left me with this bit of wisdom, “Randy, don’t confuse breathin’ with livin’. There’s a big difference between the two and don’t forget it.”

Each person has to weigh the cost of making memories against the hardship and deprivation of other responsibilities he has and make his decisions accordingly. At this time in my life, I would never be willing to sacrifice that kind of money because it would cause real hardship to my family. If circumstances were different, I'd drop the coin in a heartbeat. It's all about making decisions that you are able to live with without regret.

Attachments

• 201_0116.jpg
    201_0116.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 377
  • Copy (2) of Delberts 2010 Goat 092.jpg
    Copy (2) of Delberts 2010 Goat 092.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_3717.jpg
    IMG_3717.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 377
  • Rick Farthing's Goat Hunt (32).jpg
    Rick Farthing's Goat Hunt (32).jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 383
I agree. Well said. So, I'm beginning to put my money where my mouth is and checking out some BC & AK options for this upcoming season. Yeah, $30K is out of the question (even if I had it) in my book, but it looks like something starting in the $5,000 ballpark might be in reach.

I'm just now beginning to price and plan the trip. I'm not sure if any of you guide yourself or know anyone who does. But, please post or PM me if anyone would like to offer up an further information.

So I'm considering 2 states to build pp in, which should it be? I need to get more gear together and be ready to go if drawn that's why I'm not gonna do ID yet. I'm hoping to have between 5 and 10 points built up by time I get in the draw. I'm thinking Def UT and either CO or MT. What do you guys think?

It took me 7 yrs. to draw a resident mtn. goat tag here in MT. I would think that you would be better off spending the $$$ for a tag in B.C. BTW, I would assume that by the time you might, might mind you, draw a tag here in the lower 48 you might be about the age I drew mine at age 64. Dream big! Go for it! MTG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back