Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Goat mount is done

Baerman

Finally received my goat mount back from the taxi. Pretty happy with the way he turned out.

Field shot
Gregs2013IdahoBilly02_zpsfa832b48.jpg

MountCompletesideprofile_zps62dee11f.jpg

MountComplete_zpscbfb666d.jpg

Looks great! Post up a pic of it in its new house, would like to see how it is displayed in your home.

Beautiful goat. Nice hair.

I'm probably overly critical on taxidermy, the work looks really good, but not sure that the form is the best. It seems stretched out and a big dip in the neck. Most billies almost seem to have a straight line from the top of the shoulder to the base of the head, but maybe it is just the way it looks in that first picture. They also almost seem to have a dip in their back between the front shoulder and the back.

Looks better in the 2nd one. Could also just be the way the hair is fluffed up.

I found this reference picture on the internet - was going to just link it but it was a huge file so I downloaded it and resized it. Apologizes to whoever's picture this is.

117563943_EC4f90iD_MountainGoat274.jpg

Here's another.

800px-Mountain_Goat_on_Mount_Huron_in_Colorado_image_1.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful goat. Nice hair.

I'm probably overly critical on taxidermy, the work looks really good, but not sure that the form is the best. It seems stretched out and a big dip in the neck. Most billies almost seem to have a straight line from the top of the shoulder to the base of the head, but maybe it is just the way it looks in that first picture. They also almost seem to have a dip in their back between the front shoulder and the back.

Looks better in the 2nd one. Could also just be the way the hair is fluffed up.

You are right Nathan. The neck is dropped a touch too much. I asked him to pronounce the shoulder because his shoulder mass was the first thing that stuck out to me when I saw him. Rather than showing that saddle between fronts and backs he dropped the neck a touch too much.

I'm still happy how it turned out but your pointers are good for others looking to get a full mount.

Great goat and great mount. There's always a few things on every mount that you would probably have done differently the next time, but if it takes you back to the mountain every time you look at it then what else can you ask for? :)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back