Yeti GOBOX Collection

GMU 25 and 26

land7601

Long time follower first time poster!

I am planning a 2nd season rifle OTC bull elk hunt here in Colorado and am hoping to get some advice. I grew up hunting with my dad, but since he passed away I haven't made it to the woods as often as I would like to. I finally talked a friend into joining me this year and after doing a ton of research we settled on units 25 and 26 here. We are planning a scouting trip in next couple of weeks, but I am just hoping for some friendly advice before we head out. Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Go high, really high. Most of the elk are up high in the Flattops that time of year. You can access from a few different areas and know that like a lot of OTC units there are a LOT of hunters. Some outfitters work that area too and have camps.

Go high and get off the roads and you'll see elk. Plan on burning some boot leather to get into elk with so many people in the woods.

My camp is in 25/26. There are plenty of hunters but also a big herd of elk and plenty of other critters as well. My buddy just got back from a scouting trip and looks like there has been a lot of snow staying LATE into the year and it has been really wet. He found the dirt roads to be pretty soupy (this was a couple of weeks ago) and cut the trip short. Our camp is about 3 miles off of that road and he wasn't even gonna try the jeep trail on his own. If you have any unit specific questions you want to ask feel free to PM me. Our camp is at 9200" and I would say that we have harvested from +-11k down to about 8200" in 2nd season.

I am actually bowhunting 25 and south 26 from September 5th to the 23rd. Its my first time in that unit but I have about three weeks to hunt. I'll try to give some updates on conditions and herd reports. That is if i get into any.

Im planning on being out there the same time not sure if it will be 12, 24 or 25 yet though... good luck

Back