Gila Units Comparison

CForest

I am looking to start applying in and around the gila units next year, and trying to do some of the legwork now so I can kind of pay attention to peoples posts about the units they are in. I have never been in NM, and just looking to get a feel for the differences in how the country lays. Trophy potential would also be good, but not real worried about that at this point. I have gathered some tidbits here and there, between other threads and some podcasts. Does anyone know of a good resource to read or watch that shows the differences?? Some, like 21A, don't get talked about much but judging by draw odds people still want to get in there as well. I know 16B is mostly wilderness, thus poor access in regards to roads and likely rough country, after that I am kind of at a loss. Some must be rougher than others? Some with good/poor access? Planning on diy by the way, maybe drop camp if I could find a good way to do it. But I got to worry about drawing the tag first ha. Thanks!

download most all the information you need from toprut.com. also, gohunt.com is offering a free 30 day trial.

You can download the unit boundaries from the NMDGF website and open them in Google Earth. From there you can scout the terrain and road access, etc.
you can use this layer to know where the trails go http://www.earthpoint.us/TopoMap.aspx
I'm sure there's other resources, those are two freebies I know about.

Thanks, i have a similar deal for here in montana, hadn't given it much thought. I will be getting the on x for my computer shortly as well. It would probably give me a lot of the same info I suppose.

download most all the information you need from toprut.com. also, gohunt.com is offering a free 30 day trial.

I did discover toprut in my research so far, while they dont have much of anything for MT the draw odds info was great for NM. Also gives me the amount of private/public lands and success rates. So weeds out quite a few units. Pretty nice site for free! Haven't bit the bullet on go hunt yet, i wish i could just purchase it by state....

Toprut will do everything other websites will do for a whole heck of a lot cheaper. The draw odds will tell you all you need to know about the Gila units. Don't stress over the particular units, just get a tag. If you are applying as a party be mindful of the NR quotas as your odds can drop to 0 in a hurry if you aren't careful.

I applied for Unit 16A with a party of 4 for this late October rifle season and drew. With New mexico being a true random draw I plan on putting in every year as my chance is as good as the next guys. I use the GoHunt service and feel it is truly the most accurate and user friendly service out there.

If your set on gila 16a or 16b are usually most sought after..6a in the Jemez has some nice bulls and is easier to draw one of the best herds in Nm...51 52 have alot of elk but not the trophy potential..

If your set on gila 16a or 16b are usually most sought after..6a in the Jemez has some nice bulls and is easier to draw one of the best herds in Nm...51 52 have alot of elk but not the trophy potential..

Certainly not set on just the gila, but am looking for some good trophy potential. I get a good chance at an elk every year (even if just a cow) here at home, so I am looking for that adventure of lifetime type of deal. I am just trying to get a better feel for the differences in the units and maybe find a bit of a sleeper that is easier to draw. For example, 21A has a lot better odds then its neighbors 16C/B. Is it because the terrain is rougher, tougher to access, or is it just flying under the radar?? Just searchin around for that type of info....

For those following and who looks this up at a later date. I found a podcast channel called Jay Scott Outdoors. While there are more, #254 has been very informative. He brings in outfitters and they discuss the units in regards to terrain, hunting pressure, trophy potential etc. #254 focused on the gila pretty well. Just fyi

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Djulson
Back