Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Game bags comparison TAG vs.Caribou

2rocky

Took both on my Elk hunt and had a chance to try both out.

Used the TAG bags on OAK's recommendation

Bought the Caribou Gear Game bags for my Brother in law on Randy's recommendation.

Both Good quality game bags.

CGG has more bells and whistles with the reflective tabs and labels and hanging loops. 7 bags in the set of varying sizes.

TAG bags were more compact. 5 bags, all the same size. Material seemed lighter than the CGG bags.

Used the TAG bags on my bull. We did Gutless on him. Bag 1/2 had front shoulders TLoin, and Loins. #/4 had Hams. Bag # 5 was full of rib and neck meat. Needed to be 2 bags to pack evenly on the pack horse. (This winter I will split that bag into 2 smaller bags for that purpose.)

Uncles bull we used the CGG for the boned meat portion. Very pleased.

Word of caution....DO not tie a knot in either of these fabrics if you want it to come out. They do but only with a great deal of effort. Just don't do it.

Conclusion: Both do what they are supposed to do as meat bags. If you pack horses with the TAG bags, get an extra bag for even loads. Both wash clean with cold water (and a touch of detergent) easily.

TAG wins the Compact contest but Caribou has more features, at a higher cost. I'm glad I purchased both, and my BIL will enjoy his CGG bags for years to come I'm sure.

I need to get some luggage tags, reflective material and zipties for my TAG bags...

Nice write up. Haven't tried the TAG bags, but I'm on my second season with my Caribou bags and they are nice. Hauled out 3 elk (one was hung in a tree overnight) and one mule deer an they still look almost brand new. I just wash them in cold water (a running creek is perfect) and they dry quick enough that I've hauled out an elk in the morning and had the bags washed and dry by the time we were headed out to hunt again that evening. They are light enough to let the meat breathe and dry up, but thick enough to be durable. The reflective tags are nice when you are going back and forth to hang in a tree in the dark to get them away from the carcass.

I think I have the medium sized ones and they are plenty big enough for elk quarters. I debone the quarters in the field and the smaller size quarter bags would be big enough. I could fit 2 hind quarters in one of the medium bags, I just couldn't carry it. I always mean to take pictures of them but I always forget.

I end up with one boneless hindquarter in their own bags, both boned out front shoulders in a bag, and backstraps, tenderloins, neck roasts and other loose meat in a 4th bag. They all seem to end up weighing about the same.

Last edited:
Back