Caribou Gear Tarp

Front strut replacement

Spring compressors are sketchy and probably one of the most dangerous parts of working on automobiles. Be safe!
Agreed. I would order the preassembled strut and spring. Otherwise, maybe take it to a vocational school or a small shop and tip a kid to swap em out for you with an actual spring tamer. It’s only 1 nut but those cheap spring compressors are a time bomb. Wouldn’t want to take one to the face before your hunt.

Coming from a former dealer tech.

Agreed. I would order the preassembled strut and spring. Otherwise, maybe take it to a vocational school or a small shop and tip a kid to swap em out for you with an actual spring tamer. It’s only 1 nut but those cheap spring compressors are a time bomb. Wouldn’t want to take one to the face before your hunt.

Coming from a former dealer tech.
They are popular for a reason.
Myself I don't personally like getting preloaded struts because I have seen people get different spring rates and low quality springs that change the ride height.

They are popular for a reason.
Myself I don't personally like getting preloaded struts because I have seen people get different spring rates and low quality springs that change the ride height.
Yeah that's also true. If you get a good AM assembly though, they're pretty decent. Moog makes pretty good suspension parts, always had luck with them.

Yeah that's also true. If you get a good AM assembly though, they're pretty decent. Moog makes pretty good suspension parts, always had luck with them.
Have put a lot of moog ball joints and tie rods in without any premature failure issues.
I personally love the way old man emu and bilstin struts ride

100% doable DIY, then take it into someplace not Schwabbies to get an alignment - got screwed by them once, will never go back.
Only once? You're lucky. I've ditched schwab so many times it's laughable, but no where else that's still in business is any better, and, and this is the real reason, they are a 2 min walk from the office. Convenience cannot be ignored.

Thoughts... OEM or upgrade? Brands? Models? I was really leaning towards the cheapest I can find, because... well I'm cheap. But our old friend JLS is advising to upgrade. I know my pocketbook is strongly resisting that idea.

I only Go on the cheap if it’s something that’s easy to do and cheap enough that i could do it at least twice for the price of decent quality. I usually end up targeting OEM level quality,not necessarily OEM brand.

Thoughts... OEM or upgrade? Brands? Models? I was really leaning towards the cheapest I can find, because... well I'm cheap. But our old friend JLS is advising to upgrade. I know my pocketbook is strongly resisting that idea.
If it breaks can you limp your ride home? Yes - go cheap. No - upgrade.

Ole gramps never got arthritis from snappin' radishes then... after a while that sandwich doesn't sound too bad.
Oh I was thinking with my radish, for sure.

It’s almost uncanny how the “eff around and find out” theory mirrors the “hot/crazy” index.

What vehicle and primary use?

What vehicle and primary use?
Um... tundra, hunting. Which is probably mostly long highway miles with then some mountain miles. I've generally been pleased with the orig setup, but maybe I don't know what I'm missing. I like that 180k and it's still functional, even if it's rough as shit. I do like durability.

Um... tundra, hunting. Which is probably mostly long highway miles with then some mountain miles. I've generally been pleased with the orig setup, but maybe I don't know what I'm missing. I like that 180k and it's still functional, even if it's rough as shit. I do like durability.
I'd probably do bilstein 5100 or 4600 I really like the ride of the 5100

Old man emu, rancho, bilstein.

I put bilsteins struts and ome springs on my 4runner. They were fine. I believe jls put bilsteins on his tundra.

You don't need anything crazy, but you'll appreciate a modest upgrade. Check wheelers offroad. They used to dominate Toyota aftermarket suspension.

Old man emu, rancho, bilstein.

I put bilsteins struts and ome springs on my 4runner. They were fine. I believe jls put bilsteins on his tundra.

You don't need anything crazy, but you'll appreciate a modest upgrade. Check wheelers offroad. They used to dominate Toyota aftermarket suspension.
I think he went with eibach. but recommended the same place. I was really thinking those bilstein 5100, but there like a grand for the pair.

Back