Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Friend's Meat

After using the search function I couldn't really find what I was looking for. I'm currently trying to plan ahead... I am heading to Wyoming with 3 other friends for a week of antelope hunting, and from there heading straight north to Montana Solo. My buddies are flying in before and flying out immediately after the antelope hunt. I'm optimistic and hoping to have some coolers full of antelope meat and it will be my responsibility to bring it back to Michigan with me.

So the problem is that I will have to do something with the (hopefully at least 4) antelope that I will be bringing back for the week that I will be in Montana. Would it be best to go to a processor and see if they'd let me store the animals for the week? I'm sure it would cost some fee, or possibly a grocery store or someone with a freezer?

Anyone deal with this, and how do you go about it?

I have a trailer that I run a small chest freezer with a small generator. There's room for coolers in the trailer as well. Saves a lot of room in the truck.

Most of the larger towns have a processing plant close by. I'd get them cut and wrapped and hard frozen. You will need good coolers and load them with dry ice. I once came back from BC to Arizona with a U-Haul trailer full of moose (800lb) as above. I went to a home depot type place and bought several sheets of 2 inch Styrofoam and lined the trailer with it. Became a mobile walk-in cooler. Used the left over on top of the coolers and also covered them with sleeping bags. Checked daily on the drive home to add more dry ice. Didn't lose an ounce and the meat was still rock hard. It was as 3 day trip home. GJ

Last edited:
Being early in the season, you might be able to rent space for the week, some guys don't like doing that however. Tell them if your successful, you'll use their services and you might be able to get some freezer space.

I've traveled cross country with a cooler of meat and dry ice and had no issues. Just had to check it regularly.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back