And such a fine sight to see
It's a girl, my Lord, in a flat-bed Ford
Slowin' down to take a look at me
Come on, baby, don't say maybe
I gotta know if your sweet love is gonna save me
We may lose and we may win
But we will never be here again
So open up, I'm climbin' in to take it easy
Just happened to see the exit sign while passing through and hit the brakes. Had to explain to the wife why!

Skinny Dennis Sanchez (September 3, 1946 – March 20, 1975) was an American country musician who was based in the Los Angeles area.[1] He played the upright bass, most famously accompanying Nashville musician Guy Clark during Clark's stay in Los Angeles.[2] His nickname is in reference to his having Marfan syndrome;[3] Sanchez stood at 6'11", and weighed 135 lbs.[4]

He is most famously mentioned in the Guy Clark song "L.A. Freeway" (recorded by Guy Clark on his debut album, Old No. 1 in 1975 and first recorded by Jerry Jeff Walker in 1972). Clark's lyrics went as follows:

Here's to you ol' Skinny Dennis
The only one I think I will miss
I can hear your ol' bass singin'
Sweet and low like a gift you're bringin'[This quote needs a citation]
Sanchez was also friends with many in Clark's circle, including Townes Van Zandt, Rodney Crowell, Steve Earle, Richard Dobson and others. The country music documentary Heartworn Highways featuring those songwriters is dedicated to Sanchez. Richard Dobson recorded Sanchez' song "Bus Stop Coffee" for his albums In Texas Last December and One Bar Town.

Sanchez died at age 28 of heart failure on stage, playing the bass at Captain Jack's in Sunset Beach with John Malcolm Penn.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back