Yeti GOBOX Collection

French brittany

I have a French Brittany pup from Sun Country Bretons. She is still very young (almost 10 weeks) so who knows how she will turn out but Don and Linda Rice were extremely professional, provided dozens of photos from 0-8 weeks old, they have clean kennels, keep great records, basically the entire process was the best puppy buying experience I’ve ever had.
Better give that redhead lass an Irish name.

Better give that redhead lass an Irish name.
Name had to start with an S. My mind was blanking at the time for good names, but we wanted to get the paperwork in so we named her Sitka. In hindsight it’s a terrible name for a dog only because Sitka has the command sit in it.

Name had to start with an S. My mind was blanking at the time for good names, but we wanted to get the paperwork in so we named her Sitka. In hindsight it’s a terrible name for a dog only because Sitka has the command sit in it.
What? No one tells you what you have to name your dog. Since when has a registering club required names begin with a specific letter? With one exception all my dogs were pedigreed and I have never encountered that.

What? No one tells you what you have to name your dog. Since when has a registering club required names begin with a specific letter? With one exception all my dogs were pedigreed and I have never encountered that.
Maybe saying it has to be is a little strong but the breeder follows the french naming convention. Litters born in 2021 start with the letter S. Of course I could call the dog whatever I wanted but it's no big deal to follow the convention. It can be helpful to follow the convention, for example, folks who know how it works would know my dog was born in 2021. Unless the dog was 20 years old.

Maybe saying it has to be is a little strong but the breeder follows the french naming convention. Litters born in 2021 start with the letter S. Of course I could call the dog whatever I wanted but it's no big deal to follow the convention. It can be helpful to follow the convention, for example, folks who know how it works would know my dog was born in 2021. Unless the dog was 20 years old.
Yes, I seem to recall the breeder somewhat humorously suggested some letter. But of course I have never intended to breed or compete my dogs so "conventions" meant nothing to me. I named my pup Coral but still call her "Puppy" ... at age ten.

I have a French Brittany pup from Sun Country Bretons. She is still very young (almost 10 weeks) so who knows how she will turn out but Don and Linda Rice were extremely professional, provided dozens of photos from 0-8 weeks old, they have clean kennels, keep great records, basically the entire process was the best puppy buying experience I’ve ever had.
good looking pup. We have since this thread was originally posted have put a deposit on a litter with Hanahatchie Kennels. Now the waiting game.

good looking pup. We have since this thread was originally posted have put a deposit on a litter with Hanahatchie Kennels. Now the waiting game.
Great to hear you have a pup on the way! My French Brit story is that I great up hunting with country raised Brittanies. My city girl wife bought me a pup for Christmas, he was black, I didn't even know French Brits existed, and found out all I'd ever known was American Brits. I thought he developed dysplasia at about 1.5 years old. Limped bad the rest of his life when running much or in the field. Shame to, he had some great natural ability, but never really hunted him much after that. Would put him out when driving around the ranch and run across a covey of Bob's (This was in the early 2000's when we actually still had birds in our part of Texas.

Anyway, the point is, later I found out that he probably didn't have dysplasia, I probably actually accidentally ruined him, in my ignorance. I reasoned that a country dog ran around all the time, so I, now living in the city, should run him alot, which was convenient since I was training for a marathon. I know now that they say you shouldn't run a pup like this until at least after one year and better up to two years. I have waited since with all of my pups and had no problems. You probably wouldn't have made this dumb mistake like I did, but thats a story to consider. Best of luck with your pup!

Great to hear you have a pup on the way! My French Brit story is that I great up hunting with country raised Brittanies. My city girl wife bought me a pup for Christmas, he was black, I didn't even know French Brits existed, and found out all I'd ever known was American Brits. I thought he developed dysplasia at about 1.5 years old. Limped bad the rest of his life when running much or in the field. Shame to, he had some great natural ability, but never really hunted him much after that. Would put him out when driving around the ranch and run across a covey of Bob's (This was in the early 2000's when we actually still had birds in our part of Texas.

Anyway, the point is, later I found out that he probably didn't have dysplasia, I probably actually accidentally ruined him, in my ignorance. I reasoned that a country dog ran around all the time, so I, now living in the city, should run him alot, which was convenient since I was training for a marathon. I know now that they say you shouldn't run a pup like this until at least after one year and better up to two years. I have waited since with all of my pups and had no problems. You probably wouldn't have made this dumb mistake like I did, but thats a story to consider. Best of luck with your pup!
Was it an ACL issue?

Was it an ACL issue?
Not really sure. What I have come to understand is that running a pup before its growth plates are fully developed can weaken them. By running meaning straight running on harder surfaces, where it is much more difficult for them to self regulate and stop when they need to, versus letting them run and play and strengthen naturally in the field. My confusion, mostly due to ignorance and immaturity, also stemmed from reading a bird dog book that said a dog would develop its capacity for endurance before age two, and I took this probably too literally and was trying to apply it in my urban context. My dogs since have developed great endurance but I am now able to just let them run in the field so much more. If I knew then what I know now, I would have just been more accepting that I might have a lower endurance dog and just manage that.

As of yet no. gestation is in progress as we speak. I believe itll be end of March early April before they are on the ground.

Yesterday I received an email from my North Dakota breeder. He's retiring and moving to Alaska to be with his grandkids. Sad to see him go. He also owned my Lab's father. Puppy will be eleven shortly. I would love to have another pup in the house but I'm knocking on the door of seventy years. Guess it's time to start planning for the inevitable. Dogs are long term commitments for folks young enough to have a long term ahead of them.

received_473558797843062.jpegselection process is complete. All that remains is picking up the new pup. In line with the French naming requirements the girls chose Trixie as her name. In training and in the field I'll call her Trix. We are happy with the pup we ended up with. Let the work begin. Make haste slowly they say.

View attachment 216530selection process is complete. All that remains is picking up the new pup. In line with the French naming requirements the girls chose Trixie as her name. In training and in the field I'll call her Trix. We are happy with the pup we ended up with. Let the work begin. Make haste slowly they say.
Welcome home Trixie!!

Not exactly a textbook point but our American Brittany has been a fantastic companion for years. Was even Man('s Best Friend) of Honor in our wedding. Would strongly recommend American Brittany Rescue or National Brittany Rescue and Adoption Network for anyone interested in Brits, even if they don't have the proper papers to belong to the highfalutin' Bird Dog Country Club.

Attachments

• Investigating.jpg
    Investigating.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 13
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back