Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Freezer volunteer

Thanks for the kind words all.

Yooper, the rifle is a Winchester in 270wsm, topped with Leupold 3.5-10x40 with M1 turret. Shoots 150 grain Horn IB's extremely well. Very pleasant rifle to shoot.

Thanks for the kind words all.

Yooper, the rifle is a Winchester in 270wsm, topped with Leupold 3.5-10x40 with M1 turret. Shoots 150 grain Horn IB's extremely well. Very pleasant rifle to shoot.

What is an m1 turret?I have this gun and am going to mounting a new scope on it soon. Are you hand loading?

Mudranger, M1 turrets are from Leupold. You can send in any VX2, VX3, or FX scope to Leupold and have an elevation turret installed for $80. Other brands of optics have the same thing.

The M1 is 1/4 MOA. It's profile sits taller than the CDS dial, but shorter than target turrets.

I like the elevation turret. I don't see the need for windage turret for a hunting rifle.

You get zero (mine is 200), figure out your drops, then field test and tweak as needed.

I'm fairly competent out to 700 yards on paper. About any production rifle can do it out of the box with some time figuring it out and practice.

In the field, just laser the range, put in your clicks, set up the rifle front and back, dope the wind (that's the hard part), hold dead center and boom.

I do handload, but it's not requisite. As long as you use the same ammo every shot, everything should hold constant. If you buy factory loads, I'd recommend buying a pile of the same production run once you find the load the rifle likes.

Try it, you'll like it!

Last edited:
The main difference between the CDS and the M1 is that the CDS has a zero stop and the M1 can spin for more than one revolution. One revolution on a CDS will get most cartridges out to 6-700 yards, depending on load and sight in distance.

Congrats Tbone! What I wouldn't give to live in a place I could hunt elk every year...again! ;)

Back