Freezer --> Fridge/Kegerator. Temp control?

1_pointer

My house is in need of a second fridge in the garage. In looking at freezerless refrigerators, as they'd fit our needs best, I came across temp controllers that allow one to convert a freezer to a fridge. A temp controller + upright freezer is quite a bit cheaper than a comparable size freezerless fridge.

Anyone have experience with these temp controllers to convert a freezer to a fridge or kegerator?

I have a friend who brews beer ( and is really good at it) and he converted a chest freezer into a keg refrigerator. All he has on it is a temp sensor that shuts it off and turns it on based on the desired temp. He says it works great.

I use a Ranco temp controller for my homebrew fermentation fridge. It's two stage (one for heating, one for cooling). I haven't converted a freezer yet but I've heard moisture/condensation is more of an issue as freezers aren't designed to run that warm. Lot's of folks use Damp Rid to take care of excess humidity.

I've got a chest freezer that I converted to a kegerator. I used a love temperature controller to control temps. I've had it running for 4-5 years now and haven't had an issue with humidity, but I also don't open it very often - only to change out kegs. I also have a computer fan wired in there too which kicks on whenever the temp controller kicks on the compressor. Look up keezer builds on the homebrew forums and you can find all sorts of DIY stuff.

I need a good freezer, too. I have a large family and I would like to make preparations for the winter from frozen fruits and vegetables. If someone can advise a good freezer I will be glad to get your advice. During the research, I found a site, I know that they have commercial refrigerators and freezers that are usually ordered for restaurants. But I think they work better than household ones. If you have any recommendations on this topic, please share them.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back