Freelance Waterfowl (Canada)

jlmatthew

Just curious on how many guys head up to Canada for waterfowl? Its high on my list to do, but just never got around to planning a trip. Prefer freelance hunting and have done a little research on Lake Diefenbaker, Sask.

How bad are the crowds up there? Is it as much of a circus as Colorado's Elk seasons?

Have more family up in Canada than I have in the States, but NONE hunt or fish :mad:

As an outfitter in Alberta I will add my 2 bits and say that it is probably better for you if you hire someone as some guys do not know how much work and time it takes to do it right. You have to realise you have to spot your fields before you hunt so really you will only get in one good shoot a day if you are doing it right. That is if you can find the roosts, know the farmers well enough to get permission before the locals and the outfitters. So if you go for a week and get lucky to find a shoot a day you will shoot 3 or 4 good shoots in a weeks time.

Costs you will want to think about.
Driving a trailer full of decoys up
Hotels at $80 a night
I use a tank of gas a day to spot day and night and with prices and the large tank I have it adds up to about $100+ a day.
Licenses are about $200
Food which will add up if your eating resturant food.
What are you going to do with your birds. If you shoot your possesion limit 16 ducks and 16 geese and do not have a place to give birds away you are done hunting.

I think if your retired and have lots of time and some connections it might be worth it and yes you still will save some money but if you go with a GOOD outfitter you will pound the heck out of the birds for the time your there and it won't cost you a pile more than doing it yourself and all the hassle it may bring. A lot of my clients live in Denver area and will tell you they kill more birds up here on a guided 3 day hunt than they do in the whole season at home. There are pros and cons to both ways. If I can help in any way if you want to do it on your own let me know and I can answer your questions.

I hunted SASK for 10 years in a row....after first hunt with outfitter, figured out, I can do this on my own and did so.
Haven't been in last five years but two of guys I introduced to SASK hunting have still been going.
Even tho all the articles in waterfowling magazines have increased the pressure from the States, good to excellent hunting can still be found on your own. Got to find the birds, get permission but it is then "Whack'em Time". Area hunted is around Wynyard. The city will give you a map with owners names on a grid....then get a phone book from your motel!
Good luck!

No problem. i wish you luck on your hunt and let us know how you do. It is always nice doing it on your own and you should fins it quite an adventure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back