Former Yankee turned Southwestener

defenderinfaith

This is my first time hunting but hoping for more. Grew up in an anti hunting family but married into a hunting family. First time in past 3 years of putting in I got a draw and I'm really excited about it. No luck on day one but I'm being optimistic. Came here looking for tips and information.

I hope you find success. But as far as Hunttalk, Don’t forget to come back when you didn’t draw. Or if you’re unsuccessful. It seems, like in life, it takes many years to Build the Repertoire to get tips and information. good luck.

So nothing so far. We're a little handicapped by the fact our 8,6,2 year olds are with us. We homeschool so they are home during hunting. We're hunting NM Unit 25 which has been fairly barren. We've seen 1 antelope, 1 javalena, a mama and her 2 babies and cows....so many cows. Home for nap time and then back out we go.

This is my first time hunting but hoping for more. Grew up in an anti hunting family but married into a hunting family. First time in past 3 years of putting in I got a draw and I'm really excited about it. No luck on day one but I'm being optimistic. Came here looking for tips and information.
Good luck. Hunting deer (I'm guessing)?

Welcome from SW NM.
My Yankee family came west to fight for the Union and I'm a remnant back in NM. Have another generation serving below me now. 6th generation to do so.
Never hunted 25 but seen deer there.

Day 4 we've seen a 3 bucks with 8 doe but all antelope. Saw some quail and was at least able to direct some others to them. Still haven't seen any deer. Tomorrow is our last go, so here's hoping. Oh we did see some roadrunners so that was cool. 😁

Stay on it. 25 is a big unit. Not sure how far west of town you are hunting but there are deer out there. Good luck!
We've been traveling one end to the other chasing sightings. Tomorrow going we can sit and wait a bit but husband is antsy and doesn't sit still for long. Got some decent advice from the guys working out there a herd makes it's through down above 9.

No deer. Kinda bummed but great learning experience. Can't wait to try again. We're going to be taking family hiking trips along public and federal lands until next tag to get more familiar with region and sightings

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back