Forget about the McGriddles

Nut

April 19th,2008 was the first of the 2 day youth season before regular season starts on Monday the 21st. Since my son Codie aka TurkeyEye had surgery earlier this month and was healed up enough to go hunting we got ready last night. We get up and leave home early. Of course on the way there I had to dodge a few deer.

We get to a listening spot since we did not get to roost any birds.

earlymorning1.jpg

Not much was happening there so we move on to another spot and this happens while we listen
april19sunrise.jpg

We leave from there and get to another area
1starea.jpg

1starea3.jpg

The one we tried for there just kept going away.

So as we keep on trying for areas and running into other turkey and shroom hunters it gets to be a bit frustrating.

I mention to Codie that we could go and get a couple of McGriddles since we did not eat before leaving home or go to a spot that we wanted to hold off until tomorrow. He leaned toward McGriddles for a sec but said' Forget the Mcgriddles let's check it out. So we get there
thearea.jpg

As he was standing there we heard a gobble and by the time he turned around I had my vest on.

So we start into the area and off to the left Codie saw and heard something. He said it was a turkey he thought. Then we heard a gobble close. Right after that I heard rustling in the leaves in back of us to our left. Then I saw a turkey run off.

I thought the chase was over...

But I decided to continue on since I believed the turkey that gobbled never saw us. We go up to the pipeline and then slowly walk down it towards where the other trail meets. I had planned on going back to the parking area that way. We get close to the intersection and I go up into the woods with Codie. I decide to sit overlooking the other trail for awhile just to see what would happen. As Codie get ready to sit down I hear a gobble below us.. So for the next half hour we sit while I call periodically. After hearing what gobbling was occuring and where I send Codie about 40 yards below me about 20 yards from the lower trail. Then for the next half hour I call and get replies from one hen and a few gobblers. Finally I switch from my box call to a slate call. Almost as soon as I did this a gobble thundered dwn on us close. I keep this up and the gobbles seem almost on top of us. I finally see the toms(2 of them). I set the digital camera to record and I film a little. I stop it because I believ Codie does not have a shot. Then one gobbles as I watch. I start the camera again and seconds later BOOM!

The one bird flies off (the one I thought he was going to shoot) but the other lays there and twitches. Codie gets up and runs to it (you will see when I get the vid uploaded)
whereitlay.jpg

I slowly get up and get down to him and after hugs and one kiss from Dad I discover what Codie already knew ...it was double bearded and had bands,, he will get a $100 when he reports the band number.
doublebeard2.jpg

bands-1.jpg

2008codie.jpg

leaving.jpg

Congrats Cody. Can't wait to see the video Fred. Sounds like you had a heck of a hunt. :D:D:D

I added a few more pics above.

Here are a couple others

While I was bored at the spot where he killed the turkeys I saw this tree
tree2.jpg

Here is where Codie was at first sitdown at the spot he killed the bird in relation to me.
1tsetupatpipeline.jpg

Here is where I had him move to.

2ndsetup.jpg

Here is the turkeys view of where Codie and I was sitting

lookingup.jpg

Here again is the link to the kill on video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiMD6ipNvlw

This bird was taken on a state wildlife area

Neat, never shot a banded or double bearded bird yet. Good job guys.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back