flying with fishing gear

MThuntr

Hey guys, I've never flown with fishing gear (rods and tackle) before and was curious if you had any recommendations for rod tubes and tackle boxe to use. Also any tips you might have. Basically, I'll have to pack light because I'll be going directly from 10 day work detail in "the Bob" then onto a week long family trip to Minnesota & Wisconsin.

I plan on either bringing 1 flyrod and 1 spinning rod or 2 spinning rods. I honestly don't think I'll do much flyfishing so I'm leaning to 2 spinning rods. I think I can pair down necessary tackle to a tackle small box.

I will say that there is no better place to learn to flyfish than summer in the backcountry. Also, worth considering, flyrods typically use smaller cases than spinning rigs.

And, if Push comes to shove... You can always pop a spinning reel on the flyrod. Takes some getting used to, but it works.

Although I usually drive, I have flown a few times to fishing destinations. My flying experience is limited to two international trips and two domestic trips, the last one being a little over a year ago. All involved flyfishing only. I have a four rod case made by "Made2fly" that works incredibly well. The rods were all four piece rods, up to 9'. I carried it as my personal bag. I think Sage and Simms make multi-rod cases, as well. Although the rod case was longer than is allowed, I was never even given a second look. It fit nicely on the floor under my seat, so no issues there. I put my reels and lines in my carry-on bag. I was worried about the flies (sharp pointy things!) and so I tied up a bunch of them, and split them into two flyboxes, one in my carry-on and one in my checked bag. I had no security issues with my flies in either bag. It was a little nerve-racking, wondering how it all was going to work out. I did go to the airport way early to give myself some time to resolve any issues that came up, but none did on my flights. Hope all goes well with your flights, too!

I've had no problems flying with fishing gear. I usually carry-on my fly rods, reels, and flies. I can fit two rods into one fly rod tube. The rods I take are 4 piece and I make sure I use a cordura/pvc rod tube and not an aluminum one, just strap the tube on the side of a carry-on size backpack and put it in the overhead compartment. No experience flying with 2 piece or spin gear, but if you can get a 4 piece rod, you should have no issues. Just remember to separate any powder or liquid/gel and any "tools" - nippers, knife, forceps out and put them in with your checked baggage.

Back