NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Flying west to hunt and getting everything back

TrickyTross

Last May I started a thread ( https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...ces-appreciated/page2&highlight=Shipping+meat ) which helped me make a decision for our hunt we just completed in Idaho. We took 2 weeks off to compensate for our first time hunting, as well as the drive. The drive out was roughly 34 hours and the return trip was 36 hours. We drove straight through and yes it was pretty. But, we are more focused on our ability to do this every year and cannot afford 2 weeks of vacation for it. At least, and not stay married or employed.

I appreciate everyone who has weighed in on my previous post and also letting me know your opinions and why you drove and what not, however, I was hoping I could here from those of you who fly out and back. We have though about drawing straws to have folks drive back if they kill, but we have also read some good stuff about shipping and folks checking meat on a flight. I know the antlers will be an issue, but I was hoping I could hear about those who have done that as well. Who do you fly with? Do you check your bow and gear or do you ship it to a store or somewhere in your unit? How do you ship meat back? Do you ship your clothes and other pack material home and use your bags to stuff with frozen meat and have it fly back with you? Do you use a shipping service? Maybe have it processed there and shipped home?

We have also thought about switching up our destination for OTC, to somewhere closer of a drive. But it seems Utah is hard for early season archery, MT has grizzlies and hunters and other things not wanting folks come out, Colorado has hunters galore and more pesky NR like myself.......

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nonstop if at all possible. Every connector doubles the odds of lost luggage

I have done this many times and luckily haven’t had an issue! A few times every year me and some buddies archery hunt out of state and fly. I have the suitcase made by Badlands that holds your bow, and your clothes and it works great! Usually I will ship all the meat home in a cooler or 2 along with my suitcase. We always take horns to a fedex store or UPS and have them shipped, after we stop by a Walmart and buy some sort of container and pack them ourselves. It works great. A hand full of times I have flown with a rifle it’s been the same thing except my rifle is in its own case. You can always drop your meat off at a local butcher and then have it shipped to you. It can be pricey depending on how much meat you have though. If you have other questions feel free to PM me. Good luck!

Flew back from AK last month with a caribou and a bunch of salmon. Checked my rifle and gear and carried on all the meat + fish (which had been in a freezer for 3 days and was rock solid). Alaska airlines if you are flying to Alaska, if you are traveling domestic then southwest (and if you fly United, America, or US... well then I'm not sure about your judgement and maybe you should stick to driving:cool:)

In all seriousness there are only two airlines you should even consider if you are flying to hunt Alaska and Southwest. Their baggage policy alone will save you $150-500.

Alaska Airlines charges $75 for extra bags (still 50 lb and size limits) as many as you have (or that is what I was told) . I have taken moose , and the antlers count as a bag you just have to duck tape all the points with cardboard so no points are sticking out.
Flying , if you don't need a rugged vehicle to get to where you a going is a great way to spend more time hunting or fishing.

Alaska Airlines charges $75 for extra bags (still 50 lb and size limits) as many as you have (or that is what I was told) . I have taken moose , and the antlers count as a bag you just have to duck tape all the points with cardboard so no points are sticking out.
Flying , if you don't need a rugged vehicle to get to where you a going is a great way to spend more time hunting or fishing.

Not true. I fly Alaska Airlines every year to hunt in Alaska and Hawaii. The first and 2nd bag is $25, except if you have an AK airlines visa signature card, then the 1st bag is free. Third bag and more are $75. However, an oversize/overweight bag cost $75, so for your 3rd or more bags they can be overweight up to 100# and not incur additional fees other than the $75. I hunt DIY in Alaska in winter and I pack a large inflatable sea kayak. Winter gear is bulkier and heavier than other seasonal gear. I pack my gear in large dry bags and I take additional large dry bags for the meat coming home. Put the frozen or chilled meat in game bags, then into plastic bags, then into your sleeping bag, then finally into a large dry bag. I have brought back frozen game from as far away as New Zealand doing this with no problems. Max out all your bags, 50# + 50# + 100# +..... Don't use a traditional gun case, they are flat and can't hold much more than your gun. I use an SKB hard golf case with locks added to both ends. You can pack your guns inside surrounded by clothes, sleeping bag, tent etc. Max it out to 50#

Attachments

• 20170112_041959.jpg
    20170112_041959.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
I've added hunting decals to my golf cases so that they will be identified as gun cases and thus treated as such.

Attachments

• 20180924_195339.jpg-locks.jpg
    20180924_195339.jpg-locks.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 152
Thanks yall. I am trying to figure out the best route. We also talked about 2 folks having deer tags and 2 folks having elk tags since we all would be splitting the meat anyway. Apprecaite all the info! Glad to know it can be done!

To each their own, but I cant justify flying somewhere and then having to rent a truck/suv with 3 ply tires and being stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Been there done that.

I'll take the 2 days on the front end and back end and drive it and take with me whatever I want to take with me and bring home whatever I want to bring home.

To each their own, but I cant justify flying somewhere and then having to rent a truck/suv with 3 ply tires and being stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Been there done that.

I'll take the 2 days on the front end and back end and drive it and take with me whatever I want to take with me and bring home whatever I want to bring home.

Fair point... although I have yet to go on a hunt I wasn't able to get to with my Corolla.

Flying to and from hunts has not been good for me. I have had my rifle lost twice (once on the way to the hunt, once returning home), all the meat from an elk and a deer stolen - only busted coolers arrived at my home destination, kid puked on my leg after take off, lost duffle bags, smashed gun case, flight canceled half way to hunt destination, … If at all possible, drive.

I fly when deer or antelope hunting. Anything bigger I drive. I agree with what has been said about Alaska Airlines and Southwest. My hunting partner flies Alaska 3 or 4 times a year and says they are the best airlines hands down.

Flying to and from hunts has not been good for me. I have had my rifle lost twice (once on the way to the hunt, once returning home), all the meat from an elk and a deer stolen - only busted coolers arrived at my home destination, kid puked on my leg after take off, lost duffle bags, smashed gun case, flight canceled half way to hunt destination, … If at all possible, drive.

Was going to make a snarky comment about you being unlucky... but then I saw this...
vermont.png

I from CO but went to school in VT so flew back and forth 4 times a year for 4 years... 16ish trips I think I had 2 that didn't have delayed/cancelled flights, lost bags, or some other disaster... was stranded for a night in Boston, NY, Chicago, Philly, etc. One trip my flight was cancelled and they couldn't get me re-booked for 7 days so I just rented a car and drove the 32 hours.

I don't know what it is about that route but it's was a dumpster fire for me... I refuse to go to school reunions and only return for friends weddings begrudgingly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back