Fly Reels

I have used dad's Perrine, and as you say it does lay side ways. I do know he had that one when we ranched in Glen. I have another one and it lays side ways also, but all I can remember is that it is green and silver.

The difference between the Martin and Perine is that the Perine had a small brake lever.

Where did you ranch. My family has been here for three generations.

I'm not "old enough" to have used them when they were in vogue, but I used my grandpa's wind up reel back when he would take me fishing as a kid.

We slung salmon eggs and eagle claws with a couple split shot :D :D :D Sometimes a Colorado spinner thrown in for good measure

Not exactly "purist" stuff, but in way, much more legit than any of the posers will ever roll today

Martin left, Perine right.

28C6C214.jpg

Where? Can't say as I remember, being a little kid then. Our closest neighbors were the Reynolds. Dad raised cattle and grew seeds peas. Left Glen and moved to the Toston area. Old family movies of moving the cattle across the Missouri and also trapping beaver during the winter.

The difference between the Martin and Perine is that the Perine had a small brake lever.

Where did you ranch. My family has been here for three generations.

I know my dad has a couple of them laying around. I've never used one though.

I've got two Perrine and a Shakespeare automatic reels. The Shakespeare and one of the Perrines were my grandfather's who used them in SW MT in the 50's and the other Perrine was my father's wage for his first day of work as a kid.

Sad that a fly reel was all he got for loading hay for a day. :)

I collect fly rods and fly fishing gear. I inherited 2 octagon bamboo rods from my grandfather and one had an automatic reel. I feel that fighting the fish by hand is most of the fun in it, so I won't be using the automatic reel for anything other than for show on one of the rods.

I saw a couple episodes of flyrod chronicles where they were using auto reels to get amputee veterans fly fishing. I think that's awesome

Great idea!

I have my dads old blue auto reel, and several other old spinning reels. Exactly same models as on exhibit at the Oklahoma Aquarium/ Museum in Jenks Oklahoma

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back