Caribou Gear Tarp

Fly fishing bobbers that stay put?

Hated guiding with indicators. Always seemed to be windy, rookie fly casters, windy day, lots of willows, just a pain in the ass. “You’re doing good, Let’s see if you can Czech nymph.” Small gin clear streams lots of Char, Rainbow and Grayling, I was a hero! All they were doing was getting it in the water and getting a short drag free drift without getting tangled on something.

After 30+ years of fly fishing, Id rather not fish than stare at a bobber all day. The same goes for euro nymphing - went thru that phase 15 years ago and, while its effective, its utter monotony. Streamer fishing, too, while we are at it - streamer fishing may be less fun than staring at the bobber.

Ive nothing against fishing rapalas, tho. 2 years ago had a fish off against a euro nympher on one of the rivers near Cody - rapala vs euro nymphs. Looser had to shotgun a White Claw. While I lost by a few fish, all of mine were 16-22"brown trout while his were 90% whities with a few dink trout. Good times, White Claws go down easy when shotgunned.

And to answer the question : Thingamabobber.

id rather use a big dry for my indicator,bobber, ect,

with a nymph or 2. cant catch a fish on a bobber but ill akways get a fish or 2 on the big dry,,,
and good practice untying taggles,,,,

But let's be honest - center-pinners aren't good humans to begin with, so we can slag them off all day long.
I saw this set up the one time I did the Great Lakes steelhead thing. Still not exactly sure what it is, which makes me dislike them all the more.

I believe it was the philosopher Ted Lasso who said “be judgmental, not curious.”

I fish dry flies or dry/droppers most of the time but when I do use an indicator (or bobber) I use the Dorsey system that is simply a poly yarn through a loop created by one of the tiny rubber band’s orthodontists use for braces. I do not have trouble with it moving/sliding, probably because it’s so light and the rubber bands are very tight. I treat the yarn with float ant and it lasts all summer. Google the “Dorsey system” for more info.

I saw this set up the one time I did the Great Lakes steelhead thing. Still not exactly sure what it is, which makes me dislike them all the more.

I believe it was the philosopher Ted Lasso who said “be judgmental, not curious.”

They're just drifting eggs is all. When we do it with a 7wt, it's fly fishing. When it's done with a center pin, it's sus.

I do think there's an art to it, however weird it is. it's like the ear plugs of fishing.

They're just drifting eggs is all. When we do it with a 7wt, it's fly fishing. When it's done with a center pin, it's sus.

I do think there's an art to it, however weird it is. it's like the ear plugs of fishing.
What if you use earplugs fishing gear for steelhead...and catch 3 in 3 casts on the green earplugs?

If it's a legal means of take, get after it.
They worked surprising well at times. Still have a bunch in my steelhead stuff.

I get a pretty good chuckle out of fly fishermen using a bobber, big kids trying to look cool. Reality is, all they are doing is the same exact thing as a 5 year old with a snoopy/hello kitty rod and reel with a plastic bobber and a nightcrawler.

Only difference is the couple grand in equipment.

They worked surprising well at times. Still have a bunch in my steelhead stuff.

I get a pretty good chuckle out of fly fishermen using a bobber, big kids trying to look cool. Reality is, all they are doing is the same exact thing as a 5 year old with a snoopy/hello kitty rod and reel with a plastic bobber and a nightcrawler.

Only difference is the couple grand in equipment.

The amount of cash I'm spending on electronics for a multi-species boat is akin to 3 Winston fly rods and associated Galvan reels. And I'm buying used & upgrading. The boat was cheaper than a drifter though. ;)

Also - forward imaging & livescope aren't that much different than sight casting to risers. I said what I said.

id rather use a big dry for my indicator,bobber, ect,

with a nymph or 2. cant catch a fish on a bobber but ill akways get a fish or 2 on the big dry,,,
and good practice untying taggles,,,,
I tried this the other week and didn't have a big enough fly for that. Seems like a better idea.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back