Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Fly fishing bobbers that stay put?

Hated guiding with indicators. Always seemed to be windy, rookie fly casters, windy day, lots of willows, just a pain in the ass. “You’re doing good, Let’s see if you can Czech nymph.” Small gin clear streams lots of Char, Rainbow and Grayling, I was a hero! All they were doing was getting it in the water and getting a short drag free drift without getting tangled on something.

After 30+ years of fly fishing, Id rather not fish than stare at a bobber all day. The same goes for euro nymphing - went thru that phase 15 years ago and, while its effective, its utter monotony. Streamer fishing, too, while we are at it - streamer fishing may be less fun than staring at the bobber.

Ive nothing against fishing rapalas, tho. 2 years ago had a fish off against a euro nympher on one of the rivers near Cody - rapala vs euro nymphs. Looser had to shotgun a White Claw. While I lost by a few fish, all of mine were 16-22"brown trout while his were 90% whities with a few dink trout. Good times, White Claws go down easy when shotgunned.

And to answer the question : Thingamabobber.

id rather use a big dry for my indicator,bobber, ect,

with a nymph or 2. cant catch a fish on a bobber but ill akways get a fish or 2 on the big dry,,,
and good practice untying taggles,,,,

But let's be honest - center-pinners aren't good humans to begin with, so we can slag them off all day long.
I saw this set up the one time I did the Great Lakes steelhead thing. Still not exactly sure what it is, which makes me dislike them all the more.

I believe it was the philosopher Ted Lasso who said “be judgmental, not curious.”

I fish dry flies or dry/droppers most of the time but when I do use an indicator (or bobber) I use the Dorsey system that is simply a poly yarn through a loop created by one of the tiny rubber band’s orthodontists use for braces. I do not have trouble with it moving/sliding, probably because it’s so light and the rubber bands are very tight. I treat the yarn with float ant and it lasts all summer. Google the “Dorsey system” for more info.

I saw this set up the one time I did the Great Lakes steelhead thing. Still not exactly sure what it is, which makes me dislike them all the more.

I believe it was the philosopher Ted Lasso who said “be judgmental, not curious.”

They're just drifting eggs is all. When we do it with a 7wt, it's fly fishing. When it's done with a center pin, it's sus.

I do think there's an art to it, however weird it is. it's like the ear plugs of fishing.

They're just drifting eggs is all. When we do it with a 7wt, it's fly fishing. When it's done with a center pin, it's sus.

I do think there's an art to it, however weird it is. it's like the ear plugs of fishing.
What if you use earplugs fishing gear for steelhead...and catch 3 in 3 casts on the green earplugs?

If it's a legal means of take, get after it.
They worked surprising well at times. Still have a bunch in my steelhead stuff.

I get a pretty good chuckle out of fly fishermen using a bobber, big kids trying to look cool. Reality is, all they are doing is the same exact thing as a 5 year old with a snoopy/hello kitty rod and reel with a plastic bobber and a nightcrawler.

Only difference is the couple grand in equipment.

They worked surprising well at times. Still have a bunch in my steelhead stuff.

I get a pretty good chuckle out of fly fishermen using a bobber, big kids trying to look cool. Reality is, all they are doing is the same exact thing as a 5 year old with a snoopy/hello kitty rod and reel with a plastic bobber and a nightcrawler.

Only difference is the couple grand in equipment.

The amount of cash I'm spending on electronics for a multi-species boat is akin to 3 Winston fly rods and associated Galvan reels. And I'm buying used & upgrading. The boat was cheaper than a drifter though. ;)

Also - forward imaging & livescope aren't that much different than sight casting to risers. I said what I said.

id rather use a big dry for my indicator,bobber, ect,

with a nymph or 2. cant catch a fish on a bobber but ill akways get a fish or 2 on the big dry,,,
and good practice untying taggles,,,,
I tried this the other week and didn't have a big enough fly for that. Seems like a better idea.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back