Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Florida Peacock bass trip

dainer

I am planning on taking my wife on a fishing trip this spring/winter to Florida and try to get away from the cold. I have been looking at these guys-- http://www.hawghunterguideservice.com/

Their packages are set up for 4 night/3 days, so would be able to fish for Peacock bass in the Miami canal system one day, Largemouth in the Everglades, and Largemouth on Okeechobee another day. Has anyone been down there and done a similar trip? Any locals know if these guys would be a good outfit to go with?

Also, since we are flying across the country, I would like to make the most of the plane ticket and do some Tarpon/Sail fishing. Maybe even some gator hunting?? If anyone has any advice on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Not familiar with the outfitter; never use them. Okeechobee is fairly shallow and can be Hell if the wind gets up, so hope they select a good day for that. If too windy the canals coming into the lake can offer some great bass fishing. Don't be tempted to eat the wild oranges growing in some of the pastureland which the canals extend into; they'll make a lemon seem like a Bing cherry. Good tarpon can be found along the gulf side and guides for one day trips should be plentiful in just about any city or gulf town. There's also great snook fishing along the SW coast, but I don't remember when the season is in.
Hope you have a good time and leave a few for seed.

I have done the canals in Miami....it's OK but i wouldn't focus on that, the scenery sucks and your fishing in people's back yards all day! also peacocks in the canals are relatively small by comparison typ. day is about 5-15 fish in the 1-3lb. range.

as tarheel said the big "O" is very shallow ang can get nasty that time of year, but good bass fishing can be had there, no doubt....good chance at a big fish (10lb +bass) with live shiners.

Tarpon are plentiful but typically move with water temps. (tarpon capital is Boca Grand pass) usually see best bites in the dead of summer June-Aug.

I would suggest looking into a gator hunt around lake Okeechobee (truly rural Fla.), then head down to the keys and book a fishing trip, we have used Bud and Mary's in Islamorada with great success on Mahi and Sails, also catch yellow tails (snapper) all night long if you want. The Keys is allot of fun period.

I wouldn't recommend spending too much time in Miami if i didn't have too! Southbeach is fun for a day but with the wife, not so much!

Thank you guys for writing back and for all of the hot tips. I realize that the peacocks aren’t going to be anything similar to what I have seen in the Amazon on TV. Just want to give it shot and knock it off the list. The main reason I want to go is to catch a true pig (10+) largemouth, get a picture, and get a reproduction mount done. Where I am from a 5 lb bass is a true stud. I am sick of catching 75 bass a day, and the largest one is 12 inches. Its fun…but. I’ll start looking into Bud & Mary’s and the gator hunting as well. Maybe the wife will get sea sick and I can head to Southbeach solo? Thanks again!!

danier,
as time gets closer feel free to ask for updates on the fishing be glad to help, your chances for a big fish are good, here's a little something to keep you focused! left is 10lbs 8oz right is 11lb 2 oz !!

Attachments

• bass.jpg
    bass.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 330
I had the opportunity to fish for Peacock Bass while I was TDY to Panama back in 1994 when I was a young Airman. We had a great time and caught more fish than I would have ever imagined! The cost was $35 if I remember correctly. They supplied all the fishing gear and tackel and all we had to bring was the beer! LOL If only I'd had a camera on that trip and many others way back then. :(

Im gonna side with DKO...I spend a lot of time in the Keys...(Lucky to have in-laws who live in Summerland).Go to the keys...I know the area from Big Pine to Key West pretty well and ive been everywhere to eat from Card Sound to Key West.There is always something in season and even when things are a little slow which is almost never you can go in the back country and catch all the barracuda, cero/spanish mackrel and sea trout you want. Plus its beautiful, good fish sandwiches,and cocktails to boot!Any questions or help just ask

Hey Dainer, you have more important goals, atm! Focus - it is Fantasy Football again! You don't have time for fishing n gator unting! Maybe Nikster will not pull the ole, "My team deal don't work..." Haha! J/k... But only about Nikster!

Get your priorities straight, Mister!

Hey have a good time with your wife. Sounds like a really enjoyable trip! Man, I've heard somewhere in Mexico or one of those south of the border countries have some darn impressive peacock bass!
Make the most of it... 1-3 lbs... Meh, sounds fair to me though that is pretty average for me in MT (lg / sm mouth bass) so there have to be some bigger pracock bass elsewhere. I heard that snake fish is in those channels(?) That would be a good wall mounter. :)

Thanks again for the replies guys. DKO - Those bass are awesome, and exactly what I am hoping to come back with! I guess if my 10 lber doesn't pan out I can just use some photoshop magic in the Florida scenery and give the reproduction guys and measurements I want.

Sytes - I am already getting pumped for fantasy football! I have been checking bleacher report out daily for the latest on who did what...(or who got arrested is more like it) If push comes to shove, I should be able to hold Nikster's hand via my phone from Florida :) A snake fish would be awesome...or anything with teeth that you don't see hanging out in Nv would probably do for a wall mounter.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back