Yeti GOBOX Collection

Flatlands to mountain top

I've never used one, but one of those respirators that cross-fit maniacs use might help simulate working out in a low oxygen environment.

I live at a pretty high elevation, but I do like to work out with my pack on and loaded. Squats, lunges, box jumps... I think getting some cardio time in with a pack on helps a lot.

Here are some that popped up when I googled "cross fit respirator." Like I said, I've never used one but they could be helpful.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200212-081852.png
    Screenshot_20200212-081852.png
    772.9 KB · Views: 1
Do as much cardio exercise as you can leading up to the hunt. Arrive a day or two before the hunt to let your body get used to the altitude. Drink lots of water. What elevation will you hunt? 7000 feet is not the same as 10,000 feet. That said, I hunted this fall with a couple fellows from the Midwest. They hunted hard right at the Continental Divide, 8000 feet or so. The first day, they hunted on horses but had to make a pretty long scramble on foot to get into position for the shots. They killed two bulls. But the younger of the two hunters, in his 20s, exerted himself and ended up with spontaneous subcutinous emphasema. His lungs couldn't expel CO2 correctly and he was hurting and grounded the rest of the hunt. I'm no doctor but I think elevation had something to do with it. My point is, get in shape and give yourself some time to adjust.

Do as much cardio exercise as you can leading up to the hunt. Arrive a day or two before the hunt to let your body get used to the altitude. Drink lots of water. What elevation will you hunt? 7000 feet is not the same as 10,000 feet. That said, I hunted this fall with a couple fellows from the Midwest. They hunted hard right at the Continental Divide, 8000 feet or so. The first day, they hunted on horses but had to make a pretty long scramble on foot to get into position for the shots. They killed two bulls. But the younger of the two hunters, in his 20s, exerted himself and ended up with spontaneous subcutinous emphasema. His lungs couldn't expel CO2 correctly and he was hurting and grounded the rest of the hunt. I'm no doctor but I think elevation had something to do with it. My point is, get in shape and give yourself some time to adjust.
100% agree, these masks probably help when training to get body prepared for lower oxygen, but your body also gets used to taking the thing off and resting with "normal" oxygen levels. Elevation does more than just decrease oxygen, your body reacts and recovers different with the atmospheric pressure changes as well. Many people have problems just simply sleeping at altitude. Not bashing the mask, it cant hurt, but elevation does things to your body that a mask cant replicate and arriving a day or two early can make all the difference in the world.

I've got at book called Training for the Uphill Athlete by Steve House, et al. It's pretty technical and written for hard-core runners and ski mountaineers but there might be some nuggets in there to interest you. I don't think you have to be nearly that hard-core about it for Montana elk hunting. But get in shape and break in your boots.

Welcome! Everything I have read about those masks is that the breathing restriction can help with cardo but it is much different than true altitude training. Seems to be just another gadget that is not worth it. Also, I know a lot of people into crossfit and I don't think any of them use those.

Combo of running/hiking and HIIT workouts for cardio is great. Hiking uphill/downhill with weight (not too much either) on your back and on uneven terrain helps strengthen the legs, knees and ankles. And the uphill parts really get the heart going.
Training the Uphill Athlete that Ben mentioned sounds like something I will check out. I just just googled it and see that Kilian Jornet is listed as an author as well. He is about as hard-core as it can get for a mountain athlete.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back