Fishing Therapy

First off great pics ERSS and Muskees. I'll likely head out for walleye on the might Missouri tomorrow. It might be a little early and the weather isn't cooperating very well, but a guy has to try.

Bambistew, I'm open to your suggestions and think I'll send you a PM today and ask a few more questions. Hopefully you won't mind. While I have fished on and off my whole life most of my focus has been on big game hunting. Fishing was just a way to pass the time between hunts. However these days I'm enjoying fishing a lot more than I used to and plan to spend a lot more time in and on the water. So I'm definitely interested in helping to preserve the resource rather than deplete it.

It looks like you're using your paddlefish rod for those guys. You need to upgrade to a bamboo rod and a tweed coat.:D

JLS, I have an upgrade I just haven't put line on it yet. This actually my walleye rod, but right now it's doing double duty and only has 4 lbs Seaguar Fluorocarbon on it right now. My lighter set up that I need to put line on is a St. Croix Premier 6'6" ML Fast, with a Quantum Smoke 25 reel. I'm also picking up a Okuma SST lightweight with a Okuma Trio 20 this weekend. It should be perfect for those little mountain creeks or even ultralight fishing in larger creeks. Like I mentioned above, I've been so focused on big game my fishing gear has fallen way behind. However I'm making up for lost time quickly. ;)

I deleted about 3 different posts... I didn't want to come across as a snob, but I'm sure I sill managed... When you posted that it was C&R, I figured it wouldn't hurt, and maybe someone else would pick up a tip on saving a few fish. I love fishing, and get out as often as possible. I practice C&R and also kill plenty as well for the freezer. I fish with all sorts of tackle and fish.

I'm pretty sure Mepps makes a single hook in just about every size, so running/balance shouldn't be an issue. However short of replacing the entire lure them I'm sure with a little experimenting you could get them to run right after replacing with a single. You might have to try different size hooks of various gage/size. A split ring might not be needed, you could get siwash (open-eye) hooks that you could just crimp the eye instead. Depending on the tackle size I go with circle/split ring, or siwash. Also could tie a bit of bucktail on them to get them to run straighter if you're having issues. One advantage to a split ring is the fish has much less 'torque' advantage on the hook. Once its set, its in until you take it out.

This fishing talk makes me want to open the fishing locker and start getting stuff sorted out. Won't be long.

I still use treble hooks, but there's usually 2oz of lead attached to it :D

Attachments

• P1010672.JPG
    P1010672.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 198
I did not know that 2 ounces of lead and a treble hook were used for catching beer in Alaska. Crazy Alaskan's always taking the path less traveled. ;)

Every time I see one of Big Sky's fishing threads it makes me realize I need some of that therapy and soon. Those small streams are so fun to fish. I gotta get done planting and then see if I can get an appointment with Dr. Brown.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back