Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Fishing Therapy

Big Sky

I finally couldn't take being cooped up anymore so I hit the creek last night for some fishing therapy. I figure it's more effective and way cheaper than a shrink. Considering it's still winter time around here the fishing was suprisingly good. I was only able to fish for an hour and a half and hooked 10 fish, but only landed 8 of them. Of the fish landed 7 were brown trout, 1 rainbow, and the two I lost were browns. For a small creek they were pretty solid fish mostly between 15"-18" long.

TroyBrown73-19-14_zpsd2e3f63a.jpg

TroyBrown63-19-14_zps3c83807c.jpg

TroyRainbow13-19-14_zps7a8f174f.jpg

TroyBrown53-19-14_zpsd1c04af0.jpg

Wish I could be doing the same thing.

I have to admit having a creek that is open year round so close to home is pretty handy when I've been cooped up for too long.

Well done! Trout sure are pretty fish. I just wish they tasted as good as they look...

1 Pointer I feel the exact same way about them. Everyone of them goes right back in the water. Hate to eat them, love to catch them. I can pretty much say that for most freshwater fish, except walleye.

1 Pointer I feel the exact same way about them. Everyone of them goes right back in the water. Hate to eat them, love to catch them. I can pretty much say that for most freshwater fish, except walleye.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. While I don't mind wrapping my lips around walleye; bluegill and crappie are way good eats as well. Catfish are pretty good too depending on where they are caught.

Nice haul I'm jealous...

I guess I'm the minority here. Fresh trout over a campfire on a backpacking trip is delicious. Salt, lemon pepper and tin foil...

Way cheaper than a shrink, Big Sky. As a guy who prescribes mental health meds and encourages therapy for a living, I definitely agree with the effectiveness of "fishing therapy". Here is the results of some of last nights therapy.....looks like we are catching the same fish!

Attachments

• IMAG0648_1.jpg
    IMAG0648_1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 360
SD Walleye therapy

Those trout look like fun! Made it to the MO River for some therapy also. Lots of these eaters, and half a dozen females from 20-24" released. Just great to be back in a boat again!

Attachments

• IMG952014031395154426745.jpg
    IMG952014031395154426745.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 345
I have read a few of your fishing threads BigSky,had my doubts your fish were from the Sidney area.:) a.Sounds like a good creek,one to not whisper about.

Pretty good therapy just looking at the pics. I'm still a few weeks or more before I can get out after fish. I'll just have to keep skiing for my sanity I guess.

Nice fish. I'm ready to for some fish action too... ice is thinning out, rivers will be breaking up soon... can't wait.

If you're just C&R fishing, and you're not already on single hooks, may I suggest you swap out the treble hooks for some Gamakatzu Octopus circle hooks or similar? Clip the treble hooks off, install a small split ring and new circle hook. Single hooks are much more fish friendly for those C&R trips. You'll still have plenty of hookups, way fewer snags on the bottom as well. I fish hardware and single hooks for pretty much everything, (required in a lot of rivers now). I honestly think I get as many or fish landed on a single as I do with trebles. I tend to get a better hook set. Its also way easier and faster to get a single hook out. Less handling means better chance of survival.

Treble hooks result in relatively high (10-12%+) mortality after release on trout in the 12-15" range. The mortality rate goes down as the fish gets smaller, because they can't get the hook very far into their mouth, and increase as the fish gets bigger, i.e. deep embedment with a larger mouth/gills.

With proper handling along with a single hook you can reduce mortality to single digit percentage as in 2-4% or less depending on hook size (barb/circle) and size of fish. Single hooks also reduce torn mouths, eye punctures, etc. Those little trout aren't very tough. If they're bleeding at all, keep them. Its very unlikely they'll survive, as in 60-80% chance they'll end up floating belly up in a day or two.

First off great pics ERSS and Muskees. I'll likely head out for walleye on the might Missouri tomorrow. It might be a little early and the weather isn't cooperating very well, but a guy has to try.

Bambistew, I'm open to your suggestions and think I'll send you a PM today and ask a few more questions. Hopefully you won't mind. While I have fished on and off my whole life most of my focus has been on big game hunting. Fishing was just a way to pass the time between hunts. However these days I'm enjoying fishing a lot more than I used to and plan to spend a lot more time in and on the water. So I'm definitely interested in helping to preserve the resource rather than deplete it.

Last edited:
Kudos to you Big Sky for embracing Bambis suggestions.His info is spot on.Better for this to come from another gear guy than some "snobby,fly rod guy" like myself.;)

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back