First time hunter

radarman

Hi all. I am just getting into hunting (I know late start). I am really looking forward to this years duck season. I have been to the skeet range so much this year I may have to have reconstructive surgery on my shoulder:D. Not that great of a shot but the tail feathers of all the ducks in my area better watch out.:D:D What I was wondering if i could get some advice on gear. I have a Benelli M2, 48 decoys (36 mallards w/hens 12 pintails w/ hen). I just don't have that much info on other gear like calls for beginners, waders, packs, etc. All i ever get out of anyone is it is a personal choice. With no idea i have nothing to make a personal choice. I just need some help and was hoping you all would help. Any other advice is appreciated as well.

Welcome to the expensive world of getting hooked on quack!
You have plenty of decoys...set the Sprigs in more open water, maybe put a greenhead or two with them...maybe even put a bull sprig with the mallard set.
For suck azz mud conditions,, I use sock foot waders with just above ankle wading boots---Cabelas has them. I use LaCrosse boot foot, 5mil armoured for firmer gound and colder weather (my sock foot are 3mil). There are a gadzillion calls out there but Heirloom Game Calls just started making duck calls and have one available that is easy to use, wide range of volume and sounds. Git youself a whistle too for the Sprigs.

Thanks for the info. lol had to look up what a sprig was lol. Im headed to cabelas tonight to look at some calls. I will look into the waders when im there.

Have fun at Cabelas! They got lotsa calls but if they don't have a sample they will let you try, don't buy it! Some people use some calls a lot better than the rest of us can!
If "Sprig" got you going, how bout "Grays"...a.k.a, Gadwalls or Baldy, a.k.a. Widgeon which I pronounce as Weeegin, or best of all, my LA buddies "dos gris"....a.k.a. Blue Bill or Scaup...

"Poodu" gizzards make a great Gumbo !

Have fun at Cabelas! They got lotsa calls but if they don't have a sample they will let you try, don't buy it! Some people use some calls a lot better than the rest of us can!
If "Sprig" got you going, how bout "Grays"...a.k.a, Gadwalls or Baldy, a.k.a. Widgeon which I pronounce as Weeegin, or best of all, my LA buddies "dos gris"....a.k.a. Blue Bill or Scaup...

"Poodu" gizzards make a great Gumbo !

:W:Wow I would have asked you what language you where speaking:D . I ended up getting a tink with an instructional video to learn how to blow them. I also didn't want to spend that much till I know at least how to make it sound right. doubt I ever will lol. I understand now why I was told to do it outside my wife threated divorce:D

ahh..if she told ya first she's not serious, it's when you come home from hunting and find the house empty...THAT'S when you need to look out.

ahh..if she told ya first she's not serious, it's when you come home from hunting and find the house empty...THAT'S when you need to look out.

LOL She was taking a couple boxes out to the garage and I told her that she didn't have to move out I wouldn't blow it in the house any more. I was just glad there wasn't anything glass in the box when she dropped it laughing so hard.

seriously though..as with about everything in life, buy less of it, and better quality, you're better off in the long run, I can't count the pairs of cheap waders I ruined two or more pairs a season, I'm working on season 7 with the waders I've got now, I just wish I'd started off spending the money up front, cause I sure ended up spending it anyways.

choc has a very valid point and it applies to most hunting gear. My LaCrosse armoured boot foot insulated waders are 6 or 7 years old but they are way too hot for early TN season and practically all the time in the deeper SE, like LA for example. It is rare that a 3mil pair of sock foot lasts me longer than two seasons even with lottsa patches....next time I need both to be replaced I am going to look at what a bud got. High dollar from Orivs, breathable and armoured and dress appropiately under them. Cheap SOB wud have never bought them but he won a $250 Orvis Gift Certificate at a DU event....he even trout fishes in them.....they are damn nice!

Last edited:
Calls- for open water ducks, I'd get a good double reed call. I use a cocobola/delrin Zinks PC-2 that I picked up for around $30. You will find that alot of the high end call makers (guys that make $100+ calls, Foiles/Zinks/Ground/Saunders etc.) will usually have an entry level call that is made of a less fancy wood or delrin and they usually sound just fine for most hunters. Double reeds tend to be easier to sound "ducky" than single reeds, although single reeds with a lot of practice will give you a wider variety of sounds.

If you are going to be hunting by yourself in marsh/pond conditions, I like to use the "Splash" brand of decoy bags that have a strap for your shotgun when walking into your hunting spot.

You should be setup pretty well to kill some birds with your equipment.

smalls is absolutely correct....double reeds are easier to use and raspier but single reeds, with practice, range lower and can finish better. But a first timer shud stick wid dubble reeds!

Thanks for the advise I think I'm gunna go with the Cabelas 1200Ti 4mm waders. Anybody have any thoughts on them?
I will try to call them with that cheap zink call getting ok with it one of the guys at work says I sound like a real duck lol not much coming from him but at least it doesn't sound like a baby crying anymore lol.
I have 3 different rigging for 3 dozen deeks. thought I could figure out with one works better for me. Have a round weight on 12, a J weight on 12 and a sliding weight on 12, I hope that is a good start to find out witch one work's better(I don't think the round weights are gunna last long but oh well).
If i get only one bird this winter ( I want more ) but ill be happy.
I am also doing some pheasant hunting this year. Have a farm that opens the 17th of October 10 birds for 250 + lunch I'm so there. I feel sorry for my wife I'm like a little kid again I cant wait for the season to start.

those Waders should do well for you, depending on your tolerance for cold, and the weather you have to put up with where you're hungint in californial , the 1200 grams of thinsulate may be too much. they'll also weigh a bunch as you walk along dikes, not a problem if you don't have to hump it in for miles and miles.

I'm a big fan of rigging decoys with what's called a "texas rig" if you're not hunting really deep water. I don't bag mine, and just carry them over my shoulder if I'm not going far, and can pick up 4 dozen in about 8 minutes. Doctari longlines (you can google it) sells them complete except for weights (cause shipping is too expensive for lead).

If you want to try a single reed call, there's a pretty good deal right now at wings supply for a "bill collector", I've blown em, they've got good range, and the price is certainly right..besides, what's another couple bucks when you're already mortgaging the house, and building on an addition to store all the stuff?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back